Saturday, March 29, 2008

Weekend Musings

What a neglectful blogger I've become...and what a crackbook Facebook addict I have evolved into. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not checking out Facebook. And when I'm home and can access it (no access at work) there is hardly 10 minutes that go by where I am not refreshing the page to see if anything new happened. I know. Pathetic.


The power was off this afternoon for an hour or so, kind of an involuntary Earth Hour. The power goes off quite often up here, often once a week. Real pain in the ASS I might add. Not only do I have to reset all the clocks in the house (and microwave, stove, VCR etc) I have to record the outgoing message on my answering machine each time. Sometimes I forget and people call only to hear "We are unable to take your call. Please leave a message after the tone" by some unknown voice. It could be remedied by inserting a new 9v battery into the darn thing, but that would involve me remembering that I need one when I'm actually at the store.

I am "attending" Earth Hour tonight. For those who don't know what it is, you are simply asked to turn off the lights in your home for one hour, from 8-9pm, local time, in an effort to save energy.




Power being off also seems to mean people forgot that they passed their driver's exam. When I took it (and passed, no mistakes) I quite clearly recall that when the power is out, all traffic light intersections become a 4 way stop. Apparently not everyone remembers that one. I ran down to the video store to bring back some movies (thankfully they had a slot as everything is closed until the power comes back on) and in the space of time it took for me to park, slide the movies in, and then get back out to my car, some dumbass had an accident at the intersection I had just passed through. It was a cabbie, probably tearing off for a fare somewhere. Or more likely, he didn't know about the 4-way stop thing. Most of our cabbies in town are African immigrants (why, I do not know...we are in northern Canada) so maybe they don't do that in Africa....who knows?


Henry continues to improve behaviour wise...but still ever so slowly. His most annoying habit now is waking me up early. Sometimes that involves standing on my chest. Other times it involves rooting around in my room until he gets something he knows he isn't permitted to have, and then chew it up, and maybe even drop it on my head. He also enjoys playing the blinds like a piano too, however that has diminished somewhat. He is also a very vocal kitten, and thoroughly enjoys the sound of his own voice. I think he enjoys the sound of mine somewhat less, particularly when it is yelling at him to STOP IT. PUT THAT DOWN. LEAVE IT ALONE. GO AWAY. STOP TOUCHING THAT. NO. and so on...


Stormy, on the other hand, is his usual mellow self, initiating contact at his will. His dry skin winter itch has not subsided much, and I may have to break down and actually buy some fish oil capsules to stuff down his throat...ew...


I have been severely neglecting a course I'm taking through Athabasca University. I had signed up for it last summer when I was in my old job that required me to do basic counselling with clients. It took so very long to get the paperwork processed (a multitude of reasons, beginning with my then supervisor/boss ignoring the paperwork for weeks on end) that it didn't actually begin until January of this year. Now I'm not working in that job, and the course is somewhat irrelevant to my current job, so my interest has declined accordingly. However, the fact remains that since I have not withdrawn, I need to finish or face an incomplete/failure. And I can't have that...so today I hope to manage two chapters and the related notes/study questions. The big issue is that there are no specific deadlines, other than you need to complete the course by June, and even then you can get an extension. For me, that is too open...I will fuck around until the last minute if I can without that structure. There are online quizzes and assignments...none of which I have even peeked at. For shame...


I guess I should get back to the books again then...I miss the Dana Porter Library in Waterloo...it was much more conducive to studying...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page