Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fruits Of My Labours



Well, I had a fairly productive day today. I managed to sew up 4 skirts, including one three tiered ruffle skirt. None were any great fashion miracle, but I only spent about $70 for all four. One of the skirts is very similar in both fabric and style to one I tried on at a small Halifax shop a few weeks ago, and the pricetag on that one was $110. I thought I had taken it off the sale rack, and when they were tallying up the bill, luckily I realized the price of it! Mine cost me under $30 for a beautiful eyelet linen blend.

Of course, no task is complete without Henry's help...he was fascinated by the sewing machine's movement and while he tempted fate often, he managed not to sew his paw to a skirt...he also wanted to shove his face into my sewing kit, under the fabric, through the tissue paper patterns, and as show here, through my sewing machine arm.

Of course the highlight of the day was when he jumped up on the ironing board and knocked the hot iron off onto the carpet. Nice move. Then I had a ragged melted patch of carpet in front of the hall closet, and carpet melted onto my iron. The carpet is not quite noticeable unless you know it's there, but you can certainly feel it with bare feet, much like burnt ends of nylon rope. fuck. I was able to get most of the carpet off my iron, by heating it up again and rubbing it over brown paper. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was killing someone by the roars that came out of me. I was quite ready to punt Henry off the balcony at that point. He got a time out in the bathroom until I felt that urge pass. Then he tiptoed around me for several hours, cowering whenever I spoke, so then I felt bad and had to snuggle him. He was pretty good for the rest of the sewing, with just a few gentle reminders.

Now the big decision is which one to wear tomorrow. Nice to have choices.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page