Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cape Breton Tour































I had a terrific journey to Cape Breton this past weekend. It began with a drive down the Cabot Trail to take my parents to visit some friends in my mother's hometown. I stayed for the night, then headed out the next morning to join some friends in another part of Cape Breton. We were to camp for the night on an island in the Bras D'or Lakes, however the weather failed to cooperate, no surprise. We did actually go sailing to the island, had our supper on the beach, and then it began to pour, so we all headed for the boat again, skipping the tent setting up session...with no bathroom, it would have just been miserable. So our good friend R. set up a tarp over the outdoor seating on the sailboat and we hung out under that, drinking, laughing, recalling old times, creating new ones. Fabulous time. I slept outside as did my friend M., under the tarp. The tarp however, only covered our bodies as far as our shins...our feet were out all night and were soaked. Luckily it wasn't cold, but I did get eaten alive by mosquitoes...some of them were big enough to rape a chicken...(stolen from Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert). The next morning we pulled out early and went back to A. & R.'s for some divine breakfast quiche...thanks A.!

After the soggy sailing excursion, M. and I headed for her hometown, where I spent a few days in her recently renovated home. We hung out, chatted, ate, and recalled old times. It was a wonderful visit, and I left feeling both refreshed and inspired. I borrowed the above mentioned book from M.'s, and read it on the plane ride home...it was such an awesome book. I also fell in love with her mirror...shown here.

I then left M.'s to head back down to where my parents were, spending another night in the tiny community before we headed back towards Dartmouth the following day. We stopped along the way to visit some relatives I hadn't seen in a while, and landed at home later that night.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page