Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Colorful Five Percent

I was out for lunch with a couple of gals from work and one is in her last weeks of pregnancy, and of course, we were swapping stories, and the other non-pregnant gal said "all I remember about morning sickness was that when I was living in India in a rowboat on the Ganges River, I was sick from the motion and the pregnancy". She was also craving a turkey sandwich in a part of India where they are strict vegetarians...the restaurants are staffed by people who are strict vegetarians, and no meat has ever entered the restaurant or touched any of the dishes in the restaurant. This same gal gave birth at home both times. And there's my supervisor who was a midwife in Africa for a couple of years before giving birth at home both times as well, once with only her husband there and the second time with another friend there.


And that's just a couple of the cool people I've met since I arrived in the Yukon. Then there is what is known as "The colorful five percent"...those interesting characters of which there are sure to be a few out and about during next week's Sourdough Rendezvous Festival here. I can't wait to see Sourdough Sams at the local bars...


Then I got an email from a friend who is travelling through Africa as I write this, and has been for the past several weeks. I post her emails on another blog I keep for her (she's less tech savvy and we consider ourselves lucky she can get an email out to us all) called The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles.


Now they all have me thinking about my next trip. If things go well, I hope to take another short trip abroad in 2007 sometime. I have a couple of destinations in mind...overland through Russia or putt around Eastern Europe, or hump through the jungles inThailand...I'm torn.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Y'know.... Mrs Pickles looks like just the kind of person who would LOVE to help me torture my friend with the postcard thingie....

 
Locations of visitors to this page