Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Just Me And The Boys

So I was informed this week by a health professional that I need to make some major changes in my lifestyle or I shall be risking development of diabetes - that I was pre-diabetic. I didn't know you could be pre-diabetic, but apparently you can. Hmmm...that was troubling. My bad habits have finally caught up wth me.


I have slowly been trying to integrate changes in my diet for months now, with some success. I switched from white bread to whole grain, switched from regular tortilla chips to whole grain (they are actually not bad at all), have all but given up soda, have committed to buying more fruit and veggies, and choose a fruit snack at least once a day, have been drinking much more water, etc. Now I have to begin to exercise. I have been SUPER LAZY for many months now...driving everywhere, or not going at all. Sheesh...


In anticipation of wanting to go out walking, I had ordered an mp3 player from eBay, a nice SanDisk Sansa 250. I looked at the iPods, decided they were over rated and not worth the big bucks, and went for something more than half the price. Sweet little unit arrived today and I spent the evening loading songs onto it. Then me and the boys (John, Jimi, James, Jack, and Jim) went for a walk about town. What a difference it makes to have music along. The last time I had gone walking with music was with a clunky disc man that skipped, and I always got sick of the one or two cds I brought along. Now I have about 300 songs loaded on, with plenty of room for more. Who'd a thunk it...


This is my second night out walking at 10pm and so far, so good. I'm not winded by the time I return, though I know I am walking briskly enough to break a good sweat. And no one has thrown beer cans at me, or tried to run me down - yet. There are a number of cripples here from being hit by cars locally, and plenty of drunk/cracked out drivers...it's a risk...but for now I'll take it and see what happens. For the most part, everyone I've seen has either given me a nod, a hello, or a wave. Good start for me and the boys...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page