Monday, August 20, 2007

I Have Survived

Just finished a visit with my three nephews, aged 3, 5 and 6.5 yrs...they are delightful creatures, for sure, but sucked ALL of the energy out of me, lol. It was interesting to see their separate personalities emerge in front of me.


The three year old is very bold and strong minded - he is very impish in his ways, grinning from ear to ear most of the time, and when things aren't going well, a banshee wail that will strip the enamel off your teeth. He's gonna be a heartbreaker when he grows up, for sure.


The five year old is very different. He is quite soft spoken and timid at times. He is sensitive, and his feelings are easily bruised. He loves things that stimulate his senses. I gave him a crystal ornament that has prism qualities and he was TICKLED to get it, loving the rainbows it casts in the sunrays. He loved flying kites with me, and when I gave my sister the electric turntable for the crystal ornament, I just knew it would please him. We won't tell my mother that I gave away the crystal she gave me, lol. I felt it had found a new home with a young boy who will treasure it. The five year old loves to wrestle his brothers...they are often dogpiled like kittens...strange reference I know - the dogpiles often include scratching one another up like rabid cats. He's going to break some hearts too I reckon - some women go for that thoughtful sensitive type.


The 6.5 year old is also different from his brothers. He is very vocal, and will contraidict you at any opportunity if in the mood, with a scowl to go with it that says "what are you taking about????!!. He is very inquisitive though, and as my sister describes it "detail oriented". Already a skilled fisherman and ball player, he is slowly emerging out of his shell. He tends to trail along the periphery when in crowds, but his mind is always turning, as he watches, and interacts when ready. He's going to run his own business someday I'll reckon, either that or a politician, as he lies his ass off is very creative with the truth when implicated in the latest upset among the trio. He's smart as a whip and figures things out quickly.


And they left this morning with my sister heading for home. I think they enjoyed their visit. I'll admit it was chaotic sometimes, with three voices demanding attention...5 if you count my sister and I, 6 if you count Stormy - he can also be very demanding. I don't think he left any teethmarks on them though, so that was good.


I have spent the day (outside of work) rearranging things back the way they were, and making some changes. Every now and then I find something they left behind...a dinky car, the Playstation (and games, all in the same damn box I mailed it to her in last winter...left behind by mistake - she brought it for them to play with), and so on. There is still some bedding to wash, and the floor to scrub, but all in due time. I am relaxing for the rest of the night, will finish off the laundry, and worry about the floor tomorrow. I already washed off the sticky chairs and table.


I have survived the first visit from my nephews. I have visited their place several times before but this was the first time they visited me on my turf. I kept my OCD tendencies in check for the most part, and since most of the tornado left with them (books, toys, little boy clothes, blankets, cuppies, snacks (yogurt, fruit cups, fruit leather, goldfish, gummie fruits...the list goes on)


When are they coming again? I miss them...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page