Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chip Off The Old Block


Well holy shit...I finally got my broken tooth fixed. It's only been about 30 years or so...I remember when I broke it too, I was flying a kite near the school. My kite string tangled in a fence post, which was simply short steel posts set in concrete, with chain running from one to the next. The post was knocked over, so I grabbed it to pull it upright again and it swung back towards me as I knelt down and hit me in the teeth, breaking my right incisor tooth off. It didn't break enough off to get to the nerve or pulp or whatever, so it has never caused me any trouble, but while visiting the torture chamber today for a couple of tiny cavities, he asked me if I wanted it fixed. I had talked to many dentists over the years who all told me it could be repaired only with a crown, an expensive one - at least $800...and being broke for most of my life, it was not a priority, particularly ahead of my laser surgery for my vision.


But today, mr dentist informed me he could repair it with a simple filling and before I knew it, it was done, as were the two tiny fillings. Interesting...AND it is all covered by my dental plan. SWEET!


Of course, now I feel like I have this huge fang in my mouth, having been without most of my right incisor for 3/4 of my life, and I think I will have a fat lip before long, from it banging on my lip. I did talk to him about that, but he said it will just take my mouth time to get used to the difference in shape. My bite was off a bit first, but he kept filing, smoke flying, and before long, my teeth fit together just as they did before the fang went in...

(note - this is not my mouth)

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page