Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Multitasking

Many of us have become skilled at it, I know I am. While it looks good on a resume, I'm not sure if I like where we are going with it. How many of you can honestly say that when you sit down to read this, you're not doing at least one other thing? Doing a load of laundry? Cooking supper? Surfing the web? Checking your email? We all do it of course. Often times I am doing several things at a time, such as:

  1. reading through my emails
  2. surfing the net for at least one topic
  3. refreshing my facebook homepage
  4. chatting on msn to at least one if not two or three people
  5. uploading photos
  6. watching television or listening to music
  7. talking on the phone
  8. baking or cooking
  9. running the laundry through
  10. playing an online game
  11. making a shopping list or other memos

No wonder my mother thinks I am not giving her my full attention when we communicate...

When we multitask at work, we are expected to do so...making it difficult to make that transition back into homelife, where we should be relaxing and enjoying each task/activity as we move through it. Instead we attempt to stuff as much as we can into the day, fearing we'll miss out on something. Or are we simply living every day to the fullest?

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page