Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My little chick comes home to roost

I posted this on my other blog, and thought I should post here too to let folks know about the shift in the wind here at the dramazone dreamazone...


Well, in a wonderful turn of events, my daughter, the non-resident teenager, is coming to live with me in the Yukon. Perhaps for a few months, perhaps more. She has had a lot going on in her life these past many months including the end of a nearly 3 year relationship and is searching for a new opportunity and a chance to regroup...so what else could a good mama say but come home, darlin'! Your mama is here for you, come home!


So before I regress into the trailer park (yes, I did actually live in one during the early years) let's move on. She has really got it together for someone suddenly deciding to move. She has managed to sell nearly everything she can't pack (furniture) in just one afternoon. She has contacted her various utilities and sorted them out and tomorrow is going to see the landlord. They hadn't yet signed a lease, so there shouldn't be any problem. She is bringing one of her kitties, McGee...the kitty you see pictured here.


Now, many of you have seen the pics of my little cabin in the woods...where will a teenager (nearly 20) fit? I am clearing out the sitting area upstairs...I haven't really used it much anyhow as it's too hot for me, but she will love it as she is always cold! I'll get an air mattress for now until I'm able to locate a single bed, as I need an air mattress for camping with her anyhow. It will be interesting, that's for sure. We generally get along and now that she is too old to place any real restrictions on, she should settle in much better and we won't have to fight about that, lol. She also isn't coming totally broke (which would probably be how I would have shown up at my parent's doorstep, which I did when I was 24) which will allow her to buy her own toiletries and spending money for movies, magazines, whatever! She said she is looking forward to some real veg time. I know she hasn't had much of that, having worked regularly since she was about 14 years old. She even worked through her year at university, as did I.


Great news, any way you slice it. I was feeling a little lonesome and missing her, and she was needing her ma (which is what she really calls me). I knew I wasn't finished with parenting (not that you ever really are finished) but the mothering part, with my gal at home. I was really missing not living nearby where I could stop by after work, or meet her for lunch. I hadn't planned on that when I pictured our futures...so having her back with me for a while, even if for just a short while if that's what she wants, will be just what we both need. Stay tuned.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page