Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Vyoo Viko Wapi

Of course, you're wondering WTF? I am simply asking "Where are the toilets" in Swahili. Now you know. And if you didn't already know...I am planning a trip to Africa this fall. My friend K. may also be accompanying me, and we are headed for East Africa, namely Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. I don't know that I will get to all four, but the first two are my targets. And today I got my guidebook and Swahili phrase book in the mail from Lonely Planet, so I have to go.


I've taken a quick peek through the first part of the book, where they write about safaris, and what I love about Lonely Planet, is they don't cover the exorbantly priced tourist stuff. They know that not everyone has buckets of money to go "on safari". And so far I am interested in three kinds of safari...and I thought there was only one. I want to go on a regular Land Rover camping safari to see the lions and such, but then I want to do the canoe/kayak safari in Tanzania where the Nile begins and see the water mammals, and bird life. THEN I want to do a camel safari, simply to ride a camel and spend a few days like the locals do. And they seem to price at about a hundred bucks a day for each, so we shall see what I end up doing. I know it is going to be the trip of a lifetime, so want to do as much as I can while there, and will spend what I can to do it, and safari is not somewhere I really want to skimp too much. Can't be breaking downn on the Serengeti in a crappy truck because the more reliable vehicles came for 20bucks more a day...


I think there will have to be a whole other blog for that trip too...photos, stories, you name it. I have them for myother trips, but this will hopefully have video, if I can figure out how to post it.


Of course I shall be shopping too..and bringing an extra bag to put it all in. It's funny...now that I have finally bought the guides, I feel like its okay to get excited about going. and Lonely planet has the best travel guides, IMO. I own several of them. (although have not actually travelled to all the places they cover...someday...). The shopping is what I think I am looking forward to the most, after safari of course.


If anyone has every been...feel free to offer any recommendations.


Usiku mwema (good night)

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page