Monday, September 22, 2008

Henry is Such a Chameleon


Henry. What a riot. He was supreme little bastard a few months ago, the devil in a fur coat and now he has mellowed into such a wonderful cat. At times he is as good as any loyal dog who comes running when I call him, and flops at my feet, ready to be adored. He runs around with his toys in his mouth, and appears slighty retarded stunned. Maybe he is FASD...after all, I did adopt him from an alcoholic...he is still very much a cat, and loves to groom himself, and chase his mice. The fake fur mice are he and Stormy's favorite toys, though Henry tends to eat most of them...Stormy figured out early on they were fake, and stuffed with acrylic, not the good stuff. Henry still hasn't...or he enjoys eating acrylic. Mostly it's the fur he's after, I'm sure. Then there are the mice he chases off the balcony. More fake mice. I find them, bellies swollen in the rain, among the weeds on the grown below. I saved one today, the other was hopeless. He is also a scaredy cat...wicked coward. He will run to the bedroom in fear, looking for a bed to hide under. Only the bed is now on the floor(because he won't stay out of the boxspring)...so he just cowers in the dark on the desk under the lamp.


He is sleeping quite well now and I rarely hear from him in the night or early morning. He may scratch a second at the corner of the bed, but one GIT, and he's stops and goes about his merry way, usually flopping on the desk beside me, or climbs up on the windowsill of the bedroom window. Of course, I can't put the blinds down, or he would rattle them to get behind them to see out the window. Anyone who has a cat in the house, knows you cannot keep a cat from seeing out the window. They WILL see out, either with a razor slice through your silk curtains, or chewing and mauling your blinds. So I compromise by keeping the blinds halfway up, and keeping the curtains closed. In the summer there's a blanket over the window anyhow to keep out the midnight sun, so it doesn't really matter if the blind is up or down.


He gets along well with Stormy. They chase each other around and around the apartment, surely sounding like a herd of elephants to the neighbors below. They don't do it in the middle of the night (that I know of) so I don't worry too much about it. After all, they are just CATS, not 12 year old boys, or 150 pound dogs...Stormy and Henry still groom one another, though the whole suckling thing has taken a backseat...thankfully...and Stormy's nipple has finally healed.


He doesn't enjoy being up for long. He doesn't mind being picked up and is actually very snuggling at first...but then something catches his attention and he is GONE...off and running.


So I'm glad I didn't give him away now. I would have missed out on a really nice cat. And isn't he so very photogenic? What a chameleon...or is he a comedian? He sure makes me laugh, and has certainly changed over the course of the past few months.



No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page