Friday, June 09, 2006

Time Marches On

My ex-husband's sister, S. passed away last night from a long hard struggle with cancer. I know she fought hard, and had so much to live for, but that damned disease has won, again. We'll miss her. She was a special lady, talented, hard working, loving and such a great sense of humour. Thinking back, I have many memories and images of her in my mind to sift through...


- her many handicrafts, be it sewing, knitting, cross stitch, her work was beautiful and she seemed to enjoy it all (and I often borrowed her sewing machine before I received my last one for my birthday)
- that natural blonde streak in her hair that I often wished I had!
- the many mouthwatering recipes she so willingly shared, and the many calls I made to her over the years after I moved away, such as her molasses cookies, her trifles, and potato salad (yes, this is who I model my own salad after, for my friends that have enjoyed it over the years); and the beautiful cakes she decorated year after year for so many occasions
- S. taking my newborn daughter from my arms as I stepped off the Marine Runner, where she went directly to my house to strip her down for a better look. It was the funniest thing, but oh so cute to see. Hard to believe but that was just a few days shy of 20 years ago...
- the many card games at the cabin...I remember one such game where she and I were playing against our husbands and we took over 800 points in one hand...the men were savage about it, but we gloated freely
- she always seemed to have a smile for you, particularly all those years she and her husband ran their general store, and what a beautiful smile it was


There are more, but they're hard to write about right now, and I may just be selfish and keep them to myself. I can't make it to the funeral, some 7800kms away, but I will be there in spirit and Amber and I will do our best to remember S. as she was, keeping her close to our hearts.


I would like to encourage anyone and everyone who reads to please help raise breast cancer awareness and if you are able, donate to breast cancer research to put a stop to the continuing loss of so many of our country's great women. Click here or on the post title for more information on how you can help.

Amber and I have been putting together a small flower garden next to the steps these past couple of days just after we heard the news, I will think of S. as she loved to garden and mow her grass.

4 comments:

Wally Banners said...

so sorry for your loss.

Dreama said...

thanks. I can hardly believe she is gone. It sure makes one take stock of their life.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely words about my Mom. I know so many people have good memoories of her and we need to remember the good times we all shared with her. It's hard to believe she's gone but she will always be with us.
Andrea

Dreama said...

I can only smile when I think of your mother, to be honest. I can't remember a cross moment between us...nice to remember that.

 
Locations of visitors to this page