Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Retrospective of My 30's

Today I turned 40...where has the last decade gone and what have I accomplished? What have I done? Where have I been, and what have I been up to? I asked myself that today and thought I it was a good inspiration for a post...let's look back on the past 10 years, in no particular order...

  • I graduated from university, having started at age 29via distance education; graduated with a BA in Sociology, with and option in Legal Studies and Criminology (basically a double major) in 1999; graduated with a second BA in 2001, this time in Social Development Studies; graduated a THIRD time in 2002 with a Bachelor of Social Work (and all the related debt with student loans!)
  • I divorced my husband of 14 years in 2000. For someone who really didn't want to get married in the first place, I lasted a long time, but it was over years before, we just didn't get around to dealing with it. I regained my freedom with that move, and have never regretted it.
  • I began my world travelling. I had only been a mental traveller for many years, and insanely jealous of those who had been all over. Finally in 2001 I took the leap and jetted off to Ireland and England for 3 weeks. Since that time I returned to Europe with my daughter in 2002 to visit England, Italy, France and Belgium. Next fall is a trip to Africa if all goes well.
  • I bought my first new car this year, at the age of 39. My first car ever was in 1984 when my dad bought me a 1976 Mercury Comet, and I paid him in installments. Then in 1998 I bought a 1987 Toyota Camry, writing that off in 2000. I leased an Echo for 4 years, and turned it in this year when I bought my current car, a Toyota Corolla SE.
  • I learned to kayak, took a whitewater canoeing course, and bought a bicycle. I am not nearly as active as I would prefer, but at least it was a start!
  • My daughter graduated in 2004 from high school with honors (93% average). While this is her accomplishment, I strongly believe that children who succeed in this way owe a great deal to their parents!!! T'was I that sat with her night after night, helping with homework, wanting to burn the books. Together we made it!
  • I drove across the country in 1998 for my sister's wedding. I had my 12 year old daughter with me, but she could hardly assist with driving, so I drove all 5500 kms of it, in 5 days!
  • I was on CBC television...twice! Once for a Land and Sea episode, and once for the news. I can't even recall how many times I was on the radio during the same few years...too many to count. I even got paid for a commentary I wrote for CBC - $100!
  • I moved 7 times in 10 years. Two places in Waterloo, then off to Port Hawkesbury(2 places), then West Bay Road, then Whitehorse, then here.
  • I saw the death of more people in my extended family than I care to remember. Cancer for nearly every one of them.
  • I became an auntie for the first time! My brother was the first one to make that happen for me. I had several neices/nephews previously through my former marriage, but this was my first blood relation. She was born in 1999. My sister quickly caught up, having children in 2000, 2002, and 2004.
  • I had my first operation ever. Simple stuff, just a gall bladder.
  • I began blogging in 2003 and have enjoyed it ever since!

I may add to this as my mind recalls other things, but that's all I can come up with for now...if anyone remembers something interesting, please leave a comment and I can add it. Remember, I blog just as much for me, as I do for my readers! It has become a great way to journal about my life so I won't forget it...mind is slippery these days, particularly now that I am "old" in the words of my beloved brother...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page