Sunday, May 28, 2006

Give A Mom A Break

Britney Spears has been in the news quite often lately due to what the public/press thinks is "bad parenting". Now, I am no Britney fan, but the press has been merciless, and I would love to see someone follow them around with a camera while they parented...no one is perfect, and I think it's time to cut the gal some slack. I mean, I can certainly compete with what the press/public seems to think is bad parenting by Britney...here are some of my less glamorous parenting moves...



- picture it, Amber is about 3-4 months old, in her Winnie-the-Pooh snowsuit, and I had just placed her in my backrack and thinking I was only going next door first to my SIL's, I didn't strap her in. I'm leaving the house and just as I go to shut the door, one of the cats gets in, and I don't want it in the house while I'm gone, so bend over to shoo it out...Amber shoots out of my backrack like a rocket, slippery snow suit and all, and crashes into the door frame. I scooped her up, ran crying to my SIL and she turned out to be just fine.

- I'm walking up over Lodge rock with Amber, aged 14 months, and she does a swivel trip, you know, where the kid is holding onto your hand and one foot slips, so they swivel around...only she lets go and falls flat on her face on the slippery rock, bashing her face off it...teeth go through her lip, and she is left with a permanent scar.

- car seats? I never owned one because we lived where there were no cars when she was little, however I did strap her into one a few times when I visited my mother. The seat was a second hand one, and not in great shape, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have it buckled into the car properly. I had her out in my parent's car dozens of times during my 5 week visit.

- Amber 12 months...I have a gate across the stairwell leading upstairs, and went up to use the bathroom, leaving her playing in the living room. She was nosey and followed me up while I was in the bathroom, opening the gate with ease (dammit) and took a tumble from the top all the way to the bottom. Again, fine, no injury, just screaming, mine and hers.

So does this make me a bad mother? Lacking in parenting skills? No. It only makes me human. Take a look at your own parenting before jumping to criticize others. I think the press has become altogether too intrusive into celebrities lives. Britney is a celebrity because of her singing...So report on that. That is enough. If I was Britney and had her money, I would hire private detectives to follow some of those paper's around, digging up dirt on them, and see how they feel. Better yet, document their every move and highlight it to the media...the photo in this post is what I think to be a terrible example of celebrity press. How would any of you appreciate having your frazzled times splashed all over the media?

bad paparazzi...

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Never been a fan of Britney, but less a fan of the paparazzi bastards.

I like your idea of hiring detectives to follow them around.

I'm still convinced (having not seen video footage) that Britney almost dropped the baby because someone shoved her. They're forcing her to make a mistake.

I don't follow any celebrity news whatsoever. I refuse to let anyone in my family watch shows like Entertainment Tonight, especially since they've forgotten what they should report. I recall an entire week detailing every friggin' item in Julia Robert's wedding, including an 'exclusive' on her wedding ring. Too much!

 
Locations of visitors to this page