Monday, July 03, 2006

Am I A Material Girl

Lemme set out the events first and then see what you think. Last year I bought a new sofa, and new tables for the living room (coffee, end). They weren't cheap either, with the sofa(actually just a large loveseat) costing me $799 on sale, and the tables were $399 for the set. More money that I've spent in years on furniture. I didn't have the money before, and usually bought crap. The first edition of crap is sitting in my living room in Newfoundland. I spent $500 on the sofa and chair, and $80 on the tables. They wore well, but look like the crap that they are. The cats came to LOVE them and I ended up cutting patches out of the back of the sofa to cover the cat LOVE. Then I moved to Ontario where I bought more crap - sofa, loveseat, tables, and lamps came to less than $1000. My friend A. has the sofa and love seat, and possibly the end tables, and the coffee table was toasted somewhere in Ontario, broke the first year. The loveseat broke the second year by my lovely daughter and her 6 friends that piled onto it, jiggling and squirming as teenagers do.


So when I made the decision to move north, I thought it was time for some new furniture, and I bought a plush sofa and nice chunky solid wooden tables and away I went. Well the movers managed to break the drawer in the coffee table, but nothing that a bottle of elmer's wood glue couldn't fix.


Then my daughter came to live with me. She has been trying to singlehandedly destroy both the tables and the sofa. Never on purpose of course...and yesterday she had another go at it. She was painting her toenails and brought out the nail polish and remover. As soon as I saw it, I told her that in no uncertain terms did I want her putting the nail polish remover on my coffee table. This is the child the spoiled every surface in her room with nail polish, remover, and candle wax - dresser, nightstand, desk, bookcase. She scoffed at me, but complied and put the bottle on the floor, lid off (!!!). For some unknown reason, the bottle migrated to the table eventually, probably when she next picked it up to get more remover. In any event, there it was on my coffee table, with the lid off!!!!!!!!!. I didn't quite notice it at first, and was rooting around on the table for something and the lid of my wooden box hit the bottle, tipping it over.


It stripped the finish off my new table in a huge patch. It spilled most of the bottle, and a pile of it went under the runner on the table, soaking everything under it. And this child has the nerve to say it is MY FAULT because I knocked it over. If it wasn't supposed to be on the table, how could it be my fault to begin with...


Then this charming child, in helping me clean it up, whips this chemical infested dripping table runner off as told, but then chooses to fling it where? On my new sofa. I was not amused.


And when I blew up at this child of mine who wants me to treat her as a grownup now that she's 20, she was pretty indifferent, and said it was just a table, why was I upset. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.


Yes, we're having fun at Camp Yukon.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page