Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It's The Little Things That Irritate Me

Like going to the supermarket today to do a simple thing…pick up some milk and a roasted chicken. Then I attempt to check out. The checking out part goes fine, but when I go to put my bank card back in my wallet, it slips and falls down into the void that is the checkout stand, in some random crevice. There is a line-up at the checkout, of course. Never mind that the lady behind me has about 100 things in the express checkout I am at. Pressure is on. FIND THE DAMN BANK CARD!!! We search and root and search and root. Nowhere in sight. Sorry ma’am, did you put it back in your purse, or maybe it’s in your pocket. NO, IT IS NOT IN MY POCKET, I heard it clink as it hit something hard. WTF??? So I tell her to go ahead, check out the lady behind me, she has all of her 100 items spread out on the belt anyhow and I will root through my purse and coat, floor, whatever to see if I can find my damn card. It’s not like there is any money in my accounts or anything (the big cheques have not yet begun). But it is a royal pain in the ass to replace it and memorize YET another number. Mega shopper finishes up and I implore the prepubescent checkout girl to keep looking. She gives me a little spiel about, well, it’s not there, hmmm…guess it’s gone. GONE WHERE? Where in the hell do you think it has gone, evaporated??? WE ARE GOING TO KEEP LOOKING! Oh, ok.


I am pretty sure it went down in the crack below the weight scale, so I ask her to look on the shelf below the scale. She looks on the shelf below the shelf below the scale. No dear, please look on the shelf just below the scale. Oh, you mean here? Yeah, it’s not there. Um, I think it might be, it’s a red card and it might not show up on your red shelf. Oh, really? Hmmm…let me check again. Oh, look, here it is, your card. Ok. GIVE ME THE CARD. Have a nice evening…sure. Later dumbass.


That was one of the little things that irritate me. Ridiculous I know, when there are so many more major things that could irritate a person. It’s the little things that matter.

4 comments:

Amal said...

That would drive me bloody ballistic.

Dreama said...

I was actually amazed at my control that night...I didn't curse once...which for anyone who knows me in person knows, it quite amazing.

Allan said...

Makes you wonder what the hiring requirements are to become a "checkout" person.

They dont know how to bag groceries anymore either.

I feel you pain.

Just dropped in from BlogExplosion
www.jaab.net

Dreama said...

It does, and I haven't forgotten what it was like to be one. Spent a year at it as a youth. Not only did I bag their groceries, I also did not have the benefit of a scanner so had to either look for price tags or remember the prices for many items in my head, and work out the change in my head. Nowadays, checkout clerks simply blip things past a scanner and give them a careless toss down the belt for you to pack yourself. I swipe my card myself and they stand there, only having to reach over and pass me a receipt. How times have changed.

 
Locations of visitors to this page