Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fate And Its Chosen Path

I've typically been a believer in fate, for the most part. I think about my life and the opportunities that have presented themselves, and my choices thereafter and how my path in life has altered due to my choices, or perhaps to the choices made available to me. Hmmm. And now I'm thinking about the next step in my life, and wondering why the job hunt has become so difficult, when perhaps it is just fate stepping in to try and direct me to doing something different and I'm too stubborn to realize it. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a job to work out, so I have to wonder, don't I?


I applied recently for a job in the NWT, the interview went well, they told me they wanted 3 references, and then I never heard a thing afterwards. So fine, I began to resign myself to the fact that I didn't get it. Then I heard from one of the interviewers (who doesn't have the power to hire or does reference checking) and she basically assured me that I was likely going to be offered the job, it was simply a matter of checking references, and she wanted to let me know that they were still working on things. So not a definite answer, but encouraging at least. Then another week went by without hearing anything and only one of my references had been called. So I didn't know what to think. Then I got a call today from their HR asking for references, and she sounded surprised that I had already provided them, but yet didn't want those repeated to her. Weird. One of them was the most key reference I could provide. I've only been a social worker for just over 4years and that reference supervised me for over 3 of those years...so now I have to come up with another reference (I am not sure why, and the gal couldn't give me a straight answer) and the only one I can think of that is somewhat related to my career is my practicum supervisor back at ROOF. Sheesh...that's digging back more than 4 years. So I called and left her a message.


What does all this mean? Should I give up the job hunt for now in lieu of a real break, returning to the rock for the winter and trying my hand at writing again? Is fate stepping in and making the whole process difficult in an attempt to direct me elsewhere? I sure have to wonder...so off I shall muse...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page