Wednesday, January 14, 2004

finally! I am reaping the benefits of the semi-live in b/f of the resident teen...Alas, it is early and my car is already shovelled out! I have not lifted a shovel! This is majorly exciting...and we had quite a dump of snow last night. I can't wait to thank him for his efforts when I get home from work.

Now I have to drive in this stuff, and you will remember, I have no snow tires yet, only all-season radials. I had the same tires last winter, and did fine, even with the enormous amounts of snow, but I had an agency car with studded tires to use for work. Perhaps the true test of a good driver is how long you can keep out of the snowbanks without having snow tires on....HAR HAR!

4.5 hours in the computer lab with the resident teenager last night, finishing up her sociology project. I didn't have to do much, just moral support to prevent the meltdown that happened the night before from recurring. And you know what...computers labs have changed since I have been to high school...

This lab is reported to be the most well equipped school lab in Nova Scotia. Man, I was impressed...its all MAC's but I was impressed just the same. They have the HUGE flat plasma screens for many of them, plus the little pop-up toaster macs, ones you hover your finger over for them to come on (heat sensing), and the hard drives on them are unreal. This lab is also the SAERC TV lab, on which they play public announcements, ads, and tv bingo. They also have their own radio station. Cameras - whatever you need - digital, analog, film, just ask. For me, the drool factor was definitely the huge flat plasma screens...I remember the days of the black screen with harsh green print was all our lab had to offer and I didn't even get to use that. We only had one computer class, and I began late that year and was not able to get in, so left high school without ever using a computer. My first computer experience came in 1993 when I began using them at the local school in Grand Bruit, then I bought my first in 1994 - A Packard Bell 486...from there I went to an IBC (small company who builds them in Ontario) Pentium 333 Celeron. Now I sport a Dell Dimension 2350 with a 1.75 GHz processor. We've come a long way baby!

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page