Thursday, December 22, 2005

So I Bought This Safe

I have never owned a safe before, and never went to a Chinese auction before and how on earth could these two things be related? Well, has anyone ever heard of a party game called Chinese Auction? I hadn't but have played a game very similar to it. You bring something that you have at home, like a Christmas present you got last year and didn't like too much and are ready to regift it. Or something you bought for yourself or someone else and never used. So I went to my first one a few weeks ago at my supervisor's house and brought a little gift pack I had picked up at Hilltribe in Halifax earlier this fall and didn't quite know what to do with. Then you draw numbers and pick a gift from the pile from 1 to the last numbered person. The fun comes in when you get your numbered turn (I had # 1 as luck would have it) you can choose to pick a prize from the pile, OR you can take a gift from another person who has already picked. They then have to choose from the pile again, and not from anyone who has already picked a gift. Once you pick a gift, you have to unwrap it, so it's kind of like Monty Hall's Let's Make A Deal" I came home with a snowman candy dish and a bag of M & M's.


And now I am going to another one on Sunday, so had to buy something for that as they had a gift price minimum of $20. I didn't have anything as I had pretty well trimmed things down when I moved out here, so knew I would have to buy something. So I bought a personal safe, just a fireproof lock box. It was about $28 so should be ok. I wonder what I'll come home with on Sunday...should be good with a high minimum.


What I don't get is why it is called a Chinese auction...it doesn't appear to have anything to do with China, and there is no auctioning.


But who am I to question how things go in the Yukon...personally I think it is not actually Chinese auction but just a game someone came up. When I look it up on the net, I find a penny sale/ticket sales auction as the description and such things. I'll be sure to bring it to her attention on Sunday. What a way to get kicked out of a party, lol...just kidding!


I hope they enjoy the safe.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

It has a much to do with the Chinese as a Chinese fire drilll does...

We played that with the boss and co-workers From Hell one Christmas and I started out with a cool basketball gift set and ended up with a 3 Musketeers bar and some grape-flavoured bubble gum.

 
Locations of visitors to this page