Thursday, February 19, 2004

big storm

The storm is even bigger today, and we are getting whomped. 8:00am I got up to go to work though, as there was no announcement on the radio about our office being closed, and since I work in a government office (but not for the government, but for a Board-run agency) it takes a lot of convincing to close down for weather. So I just got out of the shower when the phone rang, and was told by a supervisor that the office was closed, at least until lunchtime. Whoo hoo...now when do you think I should tell Brad to stop shovelling? I'll get dressed first.

Then the phone rings again. My friend A., who is taking over the on-call shift today from me...the office might be closed, but someone has to mind the pager, as it is the number people will get when the call the closed office...so until I get the chance to pass off the pager, I am still actually working. A. assures me she and her significant other will try to make it over this morning to rescue the pager, as they have a 4 wheel drive Jeep. Ok then, no problem.

Then I get downstairs after getting dressed, and the phone rings again...our Office Manager calls to tell me the office is closed. Ok, thanks for that. Now I REALLY believe the office is closed...heh heh. Then I finally get the chance to holler out the door to Brad to stop shovelling. He can barely hear me over the howling of the blizzard. I can hardly see him as he is covered in snow. poor thing. He can hardly get a breath out becuase he is coughing so hard from his cold....no, I'm just kidding...lol

So Brad comes in, covered in snow and announces that while he put a good dent in the snowbank, there is still 2 feet on the road, so I won't be going anywhere anyhow. Fine...come dust yourself off and rest for a while until the office opens at noon. heh heh.

9:00am - A. and R. show up for the pager and duty bag (aka dirty bag - it weighs about 40lbs). I had forgotten that I left it in my trunk, so must get dressed to go get it out for her. Wow, where did all this snow come from. All of Brad's efforts have been blown over in snow, and the plow has been around and left me with a 3 foot snowbank at the end of my driveway. Getting the bag out of the trunk requires some manuevering as the car is under a foot of snow...but I managed, and then slipped and pushed my dear friend A. into the 3 foot snowbank at the end of my driveway...by accident, of course. Anyhow, the dirty bag has a new home, and I am off work for the day. Lovely. I just happen to be off tomorrow too, as one gets a full day off with pay for carrying the dirty bag for a week. See y'all next week! Whoo hoo!

So here we sit in the howling winter, warm and cozy...the resident teen has been notified that her workplace has closed for the day and Brad has heard on the radio that his campus is closed...but yet, here we are at 9:20am, no one with anywhere to go, and we are all wide awake and freshly showered...what's wrong with us? We should be buried deep in comforters, turning over for a second nap!

Not sure what I will get up to today...likely some movie watching...good thing I have such a huge collection (over 100).

And they are forecasting freezing rain to follow this snow...what a mess that will be....oh Brad...

 
Locations of visitors to this page