Thursday, March 18, 2004

Saint Patrick's Day

So last night I went to a party for Saint Patrick...it was a blast...not the usual party where I drink too much and regret it in the morning, but this was a more musical one, where it was a work night, we all began early, I had one glass of Harp, and the musicians outnumbered the rest of us. There were bohdrans, pea whistles, fiddles, guitars, a banjo, electric piano, and an accordian. The music went all night until I left at midnight, and was decidedly Irish/Celtic. I had a wonderful time, and found out that the host is a distant cousin of mine...what could be better? The food was good, and of course, there was Irish Stew...as well as orange and green jello shooters...we were all watching who was picking which...lol All throughout the night, the music stopped and someone had to read out an Irish Blessing/Saying with their thickest Irish Brogue and the winner received a prize. The judge was a charming older musician who was acutally Irish born, and had some seblance of an accent. The winner for the night was my friend, Rob...who reamed it off quite well. Thanks to the both of us practicing with the watching of Waking Ned Devine before we went out...lol. We also kissed a makeshift Blarney Stone...which was actually a piece of Newfoundand slate that had been etched...I bought it on the gulf boat many years ago. Stones were pretty scarce because of all the snow we have, so it was the next best thing!

so, all in all, it was a wonderful night, and I was glad to have been invited. Now I have to set about figuring out the exact geneology that links me to the host. He is a Lamey, which is my grandmother's maiden name, and she is from this town we live in now, which he is also from. Small world!

and I never got to drink green beer...snakes! (instead of rats)

but I did get a prize for having the "reddest" hair, which is looking kind of purply-pinky-red. It was a pad of sticky notes with My Heart is in Ireland on them.

now here's something to leave y'all with...

May the lilt of Irish laughter
lighten every load
May the mist of Irish Magic
shorten every road
May you taste the sweetest pleasures
that fortune ere bestowed
and may all your friends remember
all the favours you are owed


and one final note...

There are many good reasons for drinking
one has just entered my head
if a man doesn’t drink when he’s living
how in hell can he drink when he’s dead?

 
Locations of visitors to this page