Saturday, September 04, 2004

Kitties and FUR, and just Kitties in general

As you know, I have a kitty named Via, after the train. And as most kitty owners and non-kitty owners alike know, they come with a lot of fur. I think indoor cats come with more, either that or they don't have the opportunity to shed outdoors so I see it all.

Well, Via has a LOT OF FUR. It is everywhere. Of course, its all over my clothes, bedding, furniture, mats, rugs, etc. But it is also stuck to my keyboard, and monitor, on my phone, window ledges, and bookcases. And lets not forget the TUFTS of it flying around in the air. And then, it goes without saying, but I will here - it is in my food. And if it isn't I don't believe it and have to go looking for it until I find it. Sometimes I'm up into my elbows in pasta, looking for that cat fur.

The funny thing is, Via is a calico cat, the true kind with all colors and a white underbody. However, she only seems to shed white fur, and more white fur when she knows you are wearing black. And that's when she will rub up against you, again and again.

For the most part, I can't complain to much about my kitty, in the grand scheme of things. She is a good kitty. What makes a good kitty?

  1. she doesn't use my house for a litter box and never misses the litter box
  2. she doesn't miaow too much, and rarely at night
  3. she doesn't ask to go outside, or make that mad dash when my friends come in
  4. she rarely coughs up hairballs for me to step in at night when I creep to the bathroom
  5. she LOVES to cuddle and understands when you don't want to
  6. she knows when you are upset and will comfort you, listening inquisitively
  7. she comes when she's called (at least, when she feels like it)
  8. she eats dry cat food - and doesn't like that smelly, messy canned cat food
  9. she likes my friends and will snuggle with them anytime
  10. she can catch mice and bugs
  11. she follows me from room to room, making sure I know where she is
  12. she doesn't roam at night, at least, not too much - a couple of times a month
  13. she has never had fleas, worms, or any other filthy animal disease (yet)
  14. she keeps herself immaculate

I found a nice poem about kitties:

Those Crazy Cats
By Ron Fields

They come in black and white,
yellow, grey, and tiger stripes,
they love taking naps in laps
and little hands with gentle pats.


They grow-up with balls of string,
butterflies and birds of spring,
they wonder out into the night
lying by your door at first light.

This hunter sits on the windowsill
with instinctive dreams to be fulfilled,
now bathing in the warming sun,
purrs a loving song to someone.

Now onto your bed with natural grace
that flipping tail will find your face,
bite your toes and lie on your feet
and watch over children while they sleep.

A little scratch behind the ear
they’ll nuzzle away the saddest tear,
and so gently with soft calico…
touch upon your most inner soul.
…those crazy cats.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page