Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Small Children

Aren't they sweet? I haven't been around small children much for many years. The last time I visited my sister was in 2000 and her son Alexander was just 10 weeks old. Now she has three sons, aged 3.5, 2.5, and 3 months. There is noise, that's for sure, but so far, I haven't wanted to jump off a bridge. The baby is adorable, and other than an aversion to his car seat, he seems to be an easy baby. Alexander had taken to me easily and will often just climb up on my lap, or curl up next to me when I watch tv. He can say my name easily, and its awesome! Simon (middle child) is slower to warm up to me. He will come around, and ask for things, but not quite the cuddler yet. He is definitely the strongest personality of the three. Watching them is the most fun I've had for years. I love watching children interact with others and figure out what's going on in their little minds. Alexander is very much the big brother, and knows it. When Simon does something he is told not to, he is quick to react and reprimand him for it, sometimes overdoing it by pushing or smucking him. When Simon gets reprimanded by anyone, Alexander included, he is quick to react as well and lash out at anyone and anything. Books, toys, arms and legs go flying in a rage. And if he is reprimanded a second time for the mess, he either cries or laughs at you.

Isn't it funny how their little personalities are emerging at such a tender young age? They are both rough-housing boys, no doubt learned from dad, who loves to wrestle with them. No momma's boys here, that's for sure. They have been listening fairly well to Auntie Jude, which is good...hope they keep it up as I have a few babysitting opportunities coming up...my sister has a wedding to attend on Saturday (didn't I tell you Jude, she says). Which is fine. I always wanted to parent boys and never got the chance, so here we are...three of them! And I miss not living close to these little gems, watching them grow up. Perhaps that will have to be remedied in the future as I go through those crossroads again next spring.

One thing is clear...as an Auntie who loves to spoil, I often wander aimlessly through children's clothing and toys in the stores, looking for the perfect gift for these tykes...um, they don't need it. They have tons of toys, tons of books, tons of clothing. I guess having a gramma who works at the local second hand store has proved very handy indeed! So I am considering doing something else for them, like perhaps put some money away for university for them. Sounds like a much more practical idea, I think.

So here we are, on day 3 of Auntie Jude's visit to BC...hope we get out for a walk today! It has been FREEZING but I think I brought enough clothes...heh heh...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page