Sunday, September 12, 2004

The Many Travels of Mrs Pickles

I met my friend Phyllis in Ireland at a hostel in Galway in 2001. We were both staying at the Barnacles Quay and she spotted my Canadian Flag and I hers so we hit it off right away. Our room wasn't ready right away, so we headed across the street to the pub...any street in Ireland has a pub across the street. This one was an old chapel, and many of the seats were pews and a couple of areas around where the organ used to be, the choir, pulpit, etc...very interesting. I think it was called the Quays (pronounced Keys). We had a couple of pints there, then headed back to settle into our rooms. Over the next few days, we toured Galway together, along with a Dutch gal, Madeline, and had great fun, and went on a bus tour of Connemara together, including Kylemore Abbey. Phyllis left and headed elsewhere, while Madeline and I continued on to the Aran Islands, and then I met up with Phyllis again in Kilkenny, surprisingly and we hung out again for a couple of days, and even hitchhiked to Ballyhale. We had such a riot, and she was such good fun. She had met Matthew McConnaughey in Dublin, so of course I was jealous...anyhow, on with the story...

Phyllis is in her 60s and has been travelling for a number of years now. She goes home for a short time, and then heads out again as soon as she can. She often works for several weeks at a time to be able to move on to the next spot and often works in hostels or at horse farms (where her talent lies). She has travelled the globe and has always kept a sort of travel log of her experiences, e-mailing every so often. I offered to post her travel log onto a Blog that she could share with everyone, so posted below is a link to that. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...she really knows how to have fun and I hope I have her energy when I get to be her age!

http://mrspickles.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

and now it has me thinking I should post my Ireland e-mails into a blog. I still have all of them...hmmm...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page