Friday, December 10, 2004

The Drive Home

I live about 18 kms away from where I work, so it takes me about 10-15 minutes to drive home each day, depending on road conditions and who finds there way in front of me. I have the drive broken up into three parts...there is the part from town to the local drug dealer's house; then there is the part from his house to the bridge where I turn onto my road, then there is my road...and its not until I make that turn that I finally leave work behind me...with a big sigh...

I wasn't sure how I would like the longer drive...I had previously lived in town and it took me literally about 1 minute or less to get home, depending on if I had to wait to cross the highway. And 15 minutes is certainly no real commute. Now I have come to look forward to it...it gives me that buffer between home and work. In the morning, I get prepared mentally for the day on the drive in, thinking about what I've got to get accomplished. Often times, if I'm early, I'll stop by the local Wal-Mart as I drive by it and browse for a few minutes, or pick something up. (I hear ya hoser, but live with it) Sometimes I stop by Tim Horton's aka Timmys or Tims to get a cappuchino.

Now that its near the longest nights of the year, I'm finding I don't like the drive as much as I did in the summer. I leave just after daylight and its always dark when I get home. I can't wait until the days begin to get longer again and I can drive home without my headlights on!

One irritant for sure is the lack of good local radio programming. You would think that when you drive home, they know you just need to relax, think about the day, and listen to some good music...well, not MY LOCAL RADIO STATION. They choose instead to assault you with ad after ad after terrible ad, with announcers screaming at you about everything from buying a car, to who died, to who has windows for sale, to who's coming to the Civic Centre next. Stop screaming at me already!!! Just give me something to sing along with on the drive home. Is that too much to ask? CBC Radio looks better and better all the time, except at 5pm they talk for 30 minutes or more about news...yuck. Not the end I want to my day. So I resort to my cds. Now, for anyone who spends a lot of time in their car like I do in my job, usually 1500kms a month or more, not counting my commute, you have listened to every cd you own a hundred times or more this year. And now that I am out in hickville without high speed internet, I can't even download more music to make new cds. I have even gotten too lazy to change them very often, as they all start to sound alike...I think The Doors has been in there for a week or more now...come on, baby...light my fire...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page