Sunday, December 12, 2004

Whimper, whimper

that's the sound of my computer trying to outwhine me. We have been through a hell of a weekend! As you may know, I have been suffering terribly with dial-up internet. Yesterday I decided I was going to try to clean up the computer to see if that would help it any, as my computer was also getting quite sluggish.

Well...so began our weekend. I couldn't get my trusty old reg cleaner to work, so tried downloading a new one. That one could only do so much without registering and paying $20. So I downloaded two different freeware ones...they wouldn't work, errors. So I downloaded a program called error nuker...it had an error and wouldn't work...oh the irony. So I tried to download the Window's update again, had been trying for days...its the huge file, Service Pack 2 and takes forever. Finally got it and it wouldn't install. Ok, WTF is goin' on?

So I caved and called Dell. Granted, I DID pay for 4 years of tech support, so why not use them. They were extremely helpful AND knowledgable. Just what I needed. So their suggestion was to format the whole hard drive. EGADS!!! I didn't know it was that serious!!! I hadn't done that since I was inundated with viruses in 1996 on my old Packard Bell 486. Ok, well, let me get ready and call you back. I proceeded to backup all my stuff, or so I thought(something happned to my address book). Then I called them back...we did the format, then went through the tedius steps of reinstalling Windows, the drivers, etc. Then I had to install my own software, and try out the internet.

Then WHAM. I was attacked by viruses. I had been trying to download updates for the antivirus as I was only able to reinstall the version that came with the puter last February, so there are tons of updates I don't have yet. I got that nasty sasser worm, and it got me about 3 times before I finally got the Windows update that kept it at bay. It shuts your whole computer down. I had left the computer running and downloading the windows updates last night and the antivirus zapped about 15 viruses as they tried to get in. I finally got rid of the worm this morning. So I think I have all the updates and some stability in my poor computer.

Then I had to download the goodies again - my internet call manager from the phone company, msn messenger, yahoo companion...that stuff. It took forever, but I got it. Now I am sick of my computer and want to run from it screaming...

but I won't desert you, dear puter...I just need a rest....and so do you

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page