Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Big One Is Coming

my daughter turns 19 tomorrow. Egad. When did I become old enough to have a daughter who can legally drink? Thinking back to what I was doing on my 19th birthday, I was 4 months pregnant with this child. I did go to the bar, and had one beer. One of two in the entire pregnancy. Her father and I had gone out with our friend Kevin to the Port Club in Port aux Basques. I think that was my only time ever going there...the next few years are a bit of a blur, heh heh.


in any case, I am heading up to Halifax in a few hours to spend her birthday with her, take her to lunch tomorrow, buy her a drink - second legal one I will have bought for her. The first was when we were backpacking in Europe in 2002. We went to a licensed restaurant in Rome and I bought her an Italian beer. She drank about 2 ounces, declared it awful and I finished the rest for her. The legal drinking age is only 16 there, and even then they don't really bother much with it. No one checked her ID, and she was just 16 a month before.


As mentioned before, she wanted the first season of the Family Guy on DVD, so I bought her the three seasons that are currently out. And previewed them, laughing my ass off. I also bought her a watch, not too expensive, so she can remember to call her mother.


Sigh. Next year she will be 20, and I shall be 40. crazy.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page