Sunday, August 28, 2005

Camping at the Coal Mines

well, if the image portion of blogger was working, I could post some awesome pics of the camping weekend I just came back from...will have to go fuck around with photobucket again I guess...sigh...

In any event, I will try to recapture with words just how great my weekend was! We left not long after getting off work and headed up to some property owned by a friend and co-worker of mine to camp for the weekend. Now this property is found along the highlands of Cape Breton where there are steep tree-lined hills, and views of the ocean in the not too far distance where we could see the tuna boats fishing at night, lights twinkling at us.

We set up camp on the grassy knoll next to the little baby barn belonging to my friend. We overlooked a huge flower filled meadow, and more hills and then ocean beyond. There was an awesome old house nestled in the valley below, looking very cozy. There was a nice firepit to use, and I hooked my hammock to the roof rack of a friend's truck, and to a tree at the other end (the only nearby tree).

Friday night was low key, simple set up, food, drink, you know, the necessities of life...into the wee hours of the night, under a blanket of awesome stars.

The next morning we took off for the beach down the road and went swimming in the crystal clear rippled sand bottom beach, tossing the frisbee around. Great catch, F. even if you did dive under to get it!!! After the beach, we were back to the campsite for food, drink, rest, then joined another couple of friends for an awesome hike to another spot, where when the tide is high, we had to slip into the ocean from the big rocks as the beach part was submerged. There was some ocean current, but what a refreshing splush in the water it was. The steep climb back up the hill was a challenge, but we all managed, and were back to the campsite for more provisions and chillaxing by the fireside once again.

So thanks to friends M, A, S, J, K, R, D, and F for joining me for a fantastic weekend!

Now I am off to nurse my sunburn and unpack the mess I brought home with me...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page