Monday, October 25, 2004

Driven to Extraction

yes, I've been driven to extraction...of my wisdom tooth that is. Here all these years I though I had escaped that particular form of torture, having wisdom teeth, especially at my advanced age (37) I often felt left out as I sat through tales of others being put under the knife for the exquisite pain of having their wisdom teeth surgically removed. Left out, but LUCKY. Then this past couple of years, I've felt a little something at the back of my top left jaw, just some nubs, but they never grew into anything, so I thought I was safe. Until this summer. In August I began to get a little achy, then a lot achy, so much so that I went to the dentist, convinced I must have a cavity in my back molar. But when I went to see him, lo and behold he informed me I had a wisdom tooth coming in, not decay. And if it bothered me too much, to come back and he'd take it out.

So it bothered me. Once on vacation for about 5 days straight. And then last week it kicked in again, another 5 days. So I made an appointment with the dentist, hoping for a simple extraction, but after all those tales from others...well, I had fears that he would turn me away and book me into the nearest OR for surgical removal. Shiver me timbers...so I booked an appointment for the dentist in early afternoon, fully expecting to be laying in a cold sweat, writhing in pain after the extraction and poof...it was over before I knew what hit me. The freezing took longer and was more painful as he jabbed that friggin needle into my gums again and again. I had an x-ray that showed it was just a simple tooth, with only one solitary root. He gripped my jaw a couple of times and out it wedged. I asked to take it home because it looks so different than I expected.

So now I have hours of freezing to wear off, and I'm terrified to talk to anyone, for fear of chomping through my tongue or cheek...so I must blog instead...I can't believe it was over before it begun. Whoo hoo Dr. Corkum!

And the beauty is, since I can't talk, I took all afternoon off and am lounging at home instead of listening to the endless whining at work...(clients, workers, etc...lol...just kidding!)

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Ooh! Pictures!! Especially if it looks weird!!!

I can't believe I just wrote that...

 
Locations of visitors to this page