Friday, October 22, 2004

The Non Resident Teen hits a SNAG

Got a phonecall from her last night, poor thing, in tears. She had been riding the bus to school, on her way to write a mid-term in psychology and fell asleep, nearly missing her stop. In the rush to get off the bus, she left her purse on the bus, with everything in it, and didn't realize it until hours later when she finished her exam. So after all the necessary calls to police, Metro Transit, changing her bankcard, etc, she realized that her house keys were in her purse, as well as her driver's license with newly updated address information. So she spent the day stressing out at work that she would come home to an empty apartment.

I just feel so bad for her. Thankfully they didn't get any money from her as it was the day before payday, but often times she carries all of her cash in there, and there would have been nothing to be done. All they got was about 14 cents. And some really good makeup that she just bought, which she seems to be almost as upset over. I know they don't have a lot of money, and she is stressing over replacing it all, including the ID. She even got quite upset knowing someone might have her SIN card. I asked her why she even carried, it...I sure don't. You should have it memorized and once you have a job, leave it at home.

So now she has to replace her driver's license, her health card, social insurance card, her bank card, and lets not forget the every important Optimum Card from Shopper's Drug Mart! She will have to replace the three new lipsticks, new compact, keys to the apartment, which really upset her. She had a keychain on there from New Zealand that a good friend brought back for her. Not to mention all those little things that rattle around in your purse.

What really pissed her off is the way she was treated by her landlord. Samira is such a bitch, and I have met her and dealt with her myself, especially with my name on the lease with the young couple. Amber called her and explained what happened, and Samira informed her in no uncertain terms that she must now pay to have her apartment door locks changed, the front door and side door locks changed and replace all the keys for those doors for all the tenants. Which is bullshit. Security door keys are all over the place in the city. Does she honestly think that when people move out, they hand in all of their extra copies? I think not. I never did. I just threw them out when I realized I had forgotten to turn them in. And the icing on the cake...when Brad called Samira, not realizing that Amber had also called her, she simply told him they would have to pay to have just their apartment door locks changed. What a bitch. We think it is because Brad reamed her out a couple of months ago for calling Amber off for something simple that Brad had done. (climbed over his balcony to get in his apartment when he forgot his keys at work in the wee hours of the morning - doors auto lock behind him at work, so no possibility to even go back to get them). Amber had been at home here in Cape Breton with me, so certainly did not deserve to be told off by the likes of Samira for something she didn't do.

So anyhow, I have offered to help my little angel replace her stuff, and have suggested she also ask her father for some help as well, since he appears to be rolling in money (from gawd knows where).

I remember having my wallet stolen once, years ago when I was just her age. I had been standing in line at the bank machine, which were fairly new 20 years ago. I lived in Mississauga and didn't notice it gone until I went to put my money away. Good thing I had my bank card in my hand, or I would have been super pissed. But I remember the feeling of violation, with someone having my id cards, and looking through my personal things. Gone was my driver's license, SIN card, birth certificate, etc. I never heard from anyone though, and no one ever showed up as me anywhere, thank goodness. But what a pain and expense to replace all of those cards.

Lessons learned from this for her are not to fall asleep on the bus - suggested taking a puzzle book or something on the bus with her to keep her alert; put your purse in your backpack before leaving the house, or better yet, don't even bother to take it. You only need your wallet and throw that in your backpack; you don't need to carry your SIN card with you when you are already employed.

This is when it really hurts to be so far away...I wish I was there yesterday to help her out and give her a big momma hug...


No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page