Friday, October 01, 2004

October Already???

I can't believe we're into October now! Before you know it, Christmas will be here...and another year shot to hell...

Well, October for me usually means getting down to business with fall and winter crafts, Christmas shopping, beginning the annual newsletter from Amber and I, and doing some fall cleaning. It also means checking out the Halloween candy for the trick or treaters, although from what I hear, not too many kids come by where I live now, so one bag will likely be enough. Sad...I remember living on the base where we would get hundreds of kids, and as a kid, would go to hundreds of houses...oh the loot we would bring home...remember? Kraft caramels, little chocolate bars, chiclets (two to a box), little foil bags of chips, rockets, and always those nasty molasses kisses that were the last to be eaten, if at all..they usually just picked up the lint at the bottom of your pillowcase. And all those apples that my dad never let me eat...not that I wanted them anyhow...who would choose fruit over SUGAR???

Now I'm too old, my child is too old, and Halloween is more of just a memory, especially if I don't get more than one or two trick or treaters this year...I used to do it up big at home in Grand Bruit. I'd invite all of the kids over for a huge Halloween party, complete with costumes, decorations galore, and so much food, snacks and junk food you want to puke..we'd play games all night, including that old favorite, bobbing for apples...I remember one of my neices trying to drown her cousin at one party, by shoving her head to the bottom...you know who you are girls...then on Halloween night, I always blasted the scary music from my house for the handful of trick or treaters that would come to my door.

Amber surely remembers being frightened walking across the brook bridge in Grand Bruit one Halloween...a friend of ours, Brian had donned a werewolf mask and hid under the bridge, roaring out at a group of them as they crossed the bridge...she never forgot the terror...I love it!

I also remember dressing up in old coveralls and sitting out on the deck, waiting for kids to come and jumping up at them...they thought I was a scarecrow...heh heh...the screams!!!

October is different for me this year...no kid at home, different home, but a 15 minute drive to and from work through some beautiful autumn colors...something northern BC doesn't seem to have...their trees go mostly golden...no oranges or reds, which are my favorite. Hopefully the trees at home are just beginning...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page