Sunday, November 07, 2004

And We Have Jelly

Well, it was a piece of work, but I think I have jelly! I let my pulp hang on the cupboard door all night, draining into a large bowl and by morning I had five whole cups of liquid...ok, so there wasn't going to be lots of jelly...thats ok, though I don't EAT lots of jelly. I then set the jars on to boil as you have to pour hot jelly into hot jars, sterilized. And then I set the jelly on to boil with sugar for nearly an hour. Lacking a candy thermometer (I still like to do some things the old fashioned way) I found a recipe on the net that just said to boil for an hour...fine with me. It boiled and boiled, and then I went to stir it when it was almost done, and spilled it all over the stove...and began to burn. If you have ever burnt sugar before, its not entirely unpleasant, however, will cause the smoke detector to go off...so I ripped the battery out of that, and went back to the jelly.

Seems jelly has to be timed just right and its GO GO GO...take jars out of boiling water (without scalding onself...they are HOT afterall) and place on cupboard...search for funnel so jelly can be poured into jars, pour jelly into jars, ooops, need lids to be in hot water for good seal...pour scalding water over them, seal jars immediately, screw on lids, throw them back into the pot of water where the jars had boiled to seal the jelly for 5 minutes and WHEW! Its all over. Mind you, the jelly looked very liquid when I poured it in, and I was somewhat disheartened, but after checking it just now, only 30 minutes later with the jars still warm, it has begun to set...WHOO HOO!

We have jelly. 4 and 1/2 jars.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page