Thursday, November 04, 2004

I Smell It

It is winter, and I smell it coming. And I am not happy about it. Not that I can do much, other than move south. But I feel the chill in the air as I wake up each morning and freeze putting my clothes on. I try to conjure up images and feelings of overheating from this summer, and from my trip to Guatemala and Belize where I thought I could never feel cool again...and sometimes it actually works. I do like the feeling of curling up with quilts and watching television, or reading a good book though. I just wish I had a fireplace to snuggle by...darn it. I did, however, get an invitation to sit by one should the power go out. Although they don't have any wood, so I don't know where that would go. But then, there is that big woodpile out by my house that my landlord's brother is cutting...hmmm...think he would miss a piece or three???

I've begun to wear gloves, and scarves...don't know if I will break out the winter coat just yet. I hate my winter jacket, and its a shame, because there isn't anything wrong with it. I want to get an actual COAT to wear to work. I haven't had a nice wool coat for many years...since I was in high school if you can believe that. So I think its about time. I saw one in the Sears catalogue that I had my eye on, down past the knees it was, so I can wear it with my skirts this winter. On me, shortass that I am, it will likely be down past my ankles...fine with me! Now I just need the pesos to buy it...

Roomie and I have to break down and buy some oil soon. I haven't checked the tank this week, but last week, it was finally starting to dip below half. There is no panic yet, but I want to get a delivery before the end of the month if I can, before we do run out. One cold snap can sure make fast work of the oil in there.

Someone told me the Farmer's Almanac stated that we are in for a long and snowy winter...I also heard that because there are lots of apples on the trees, we are in for a lot of snow. Great...another winter to bitch about the snow...get ready. At least this year, I do have the scoop, which I didn't have my first winter here when I nearly had a breakdown...what am I talking about...I did have a breakdown. Amber will remember the tantrum I threw in the driveway when I got my agency car stuck...

Anyhow...here's to cozy warm beds, piled high with homemade quilts...I think I shall be spending a great deal of time there...

3 comments:

Madley said...

What does that mean, you have to buy oil? How much? In what? What for? For how long? I'm so confused... and yet a snowy winter still sounds romantic! (Well of course it would, IN MY HEAD -- while my ass is sitting here in LA, squeamish and bitching about FOG.)

Dreama said...

lol, buying oil. It seems so normal to me, but I guess if you don't live in a sub-zero climate for part of the year, others wouldn't really know. Well, I have a furnace, and it runs on oil. The furnace also heats my hot water for everyday use, as well as the water that runs through my radiators, which heats my house. This oil is stored in a tank outside my home, and in this particular house, it is my responsibility to contact an oil company to come and fill it. During the warmer months, I hardly use any at all, so haven't had a delivery since I moved in here. Now the furnace is being used, it will go through it much quicker and I will probably have to get it filled once every six weeks or more, at the cost of $200-300 for half a tank.
We do get fog too, however, and when I lived in Newfoundland, we got a LOT of fog.

Madley said...

Thanks for the explanation -- I can smell winter better now :)

 
Locations of visitors to this page