Sunday, November 28, 2004

The Beatles

Have I said before how much I like The Beatles? I'm a huge fan...not a maniacal fan, like one who saves dryer lint, or has every image every taken of them. I just like them. And I recently bought The Beatles Anthology on VHS off e-bay and have been watching it this past week.

I don't know when I have been this happy watching videotape. Honestly, I have a smile pasted on my face the entire time I have the tape on, and have to watch every frame. Ordinarily I'll knit, or do something else while watching a movie (the multi-tasker in me) but not with this. I am focused entirely. It is the first movie/mini-series that seems honest and real. If you haven't seen it before, it is a series that was first aired on television in 1996 I think and involved the three remaining Beatles - Paul, George and Ringo. They were interviewed extensively for it, and provided much of the footage they clipped together. The whole series is a chronological story of The Beatles, with tons of musical footage from shows and concerts and numerous interviews and since you can't have a series about The Beatles without John, they have clipped in past interviews with him when relevant to the topic, usually with every single story they talk about, so that it seems like he was right there with the other three as the movie was made.

Its just awesome, and I got it for a steal on e-bay, just $9.99US. It is available on DVD for a much higher price, but I was just happy to have what I bought. What I have been enjoying most about it was seeing how very happy John was back then, during the early years. I've fallen in love with him all over again! He was so goofy and funny, and so very talented. Oh John...why did you have to die so soon?

I remember the day that he was shot. It was December 8, 1980. I was in Stephenville, and the radio was on, and the announcement came over the radio. I could't believe that someone would do that, and I had been listening to his solo music for a few years by then, and was just devastated. Damn you Mark David Chapman.

So when I watch this movie, I am taken back to a time when everything was groovy, and the boys were the best of friends, which they say in the movie that they really were, really good friends, especially John and Paul. I've never seen all their own movies either, but would love to. Maybe that's my next buy on e-bay...

I miss you John!

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page