Saturday, February 26, 2005

Expiry Dates

Funny how things crop up...I was chatting earlier today with my daughter about buying things that are on sale...especially meats as they often put them on sale if their best before date is soon up. We had been talking about shopping and how I got a great deal on cheese today and the cheese has months to go yet.

Then I made pizza. I usually fry out some bacon to put on the pizza and today I got one of my "sale" pounds of bacon out and noticed that the best before date had gone by as of February 15th...hmm...I don't live in town so can't just run to the store to get another one very fast. Hmmm...lets try it out and see how it smells when its cooking. After all, there are so many preservatives and crap in bacon, its probably fine. Then it starts to cook and there is a "different" smell. Not especially bad, but different. I've had this before when I cook pork, both ham and bacon, so was hoping it had nothing to do with the best before date.

So I cooked it up, and made the pizzas...nibbling a little on the bacon - ummmm..not so great, but not AWFUL. The pizzas came out, looked great and chomped in. Hmmm, not spectacular, but edible, I guess, however the funky smell carried over to the taste. I had hoped that the combination of sauce and cheese might mask it...no.

So now the query of the day is how long before food poisoning sets in?

If you don't see any new posts for a couple of days, I might be retching in the bathroom, clutching the porcelain.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Well, you must still be alive since you watched the Oscars and left me a comment!!

 
Locations of visitors to this page