Thursday, February 10, 2005

That Darn Car, That DAMN Trash...

Well, the brake job ended up costing me $360...ka-ching...I was ready to cry. Actually, I did cry. I began to well up so left the dealership clutching my half-paid bill and drove off. And then felt stupid to be crying over a silly car. But not half as stupid as I felt later that day to be crying over trash...

Did I mention earlier that my trash collecter has decided that my trash is not worthy to be picked up. Like a good Cape Bretoner, I place my trash at the end of a driveway in a rusted out freezer that has the lock removed. And when that one rusts out, you drag another one out beside it, leaving the old one there to grow a tree in the centre of it...

So I couldn't figure out how come he wasn't picking up my trash since Christmas...yes, since Santa left. He took my neighbor's, and we share the SAME rusty freezer. I checked it for stickers from the trash police and found nothing. I scoured the freezer for a lost note, but again, nothing. So my neighbors suggested I call our local councillor, Red Eddie...oh dear, I know I am in the boonies now when our local representative for the county is named Red Eddie. But then the mayor of the last town I lived in went by Billy Joe. And I don't even live in Kentucky.

So I tried e-mailing Red Eddie, and also called the County office, who took my complaint and had the trash man call me aka waste disposal engineer (WHATEVER). Dougie was very condescending in his manner and tone. The simple reason why he did not take my trash was because it was not tied. Hmmm...I use drawstring bags and you have picked up my trash every Tuesday since last June, but now since Christmas you have decided that it no longer suits you. He refers to some silly by-law that states you must tie your garbage up, that he doesn't make the rules, and if I wanted to complain about it, perhaps I should take it up with the local councillor. And while I was at it, I could ask them to hire someone to visit all the homes in the county to have the art of tying garbage bags explained to them. Fucker. I simply asked for a reason why my trash was not being picked up and why he didn't just leave a note or sticker saying what I needed to do.

It went downhill from there. I asked him how many weeks he planned on letting my trash accumulate in the rusty freezer before he either began taking it or left me a note. He told me that the by-laws are on the internet for anyone to read them, and the onus was on the homeowner to know them. Okay, fair enough, I will go read them. Asshole.

I called the county office and got the website address (a simple search did nothing to help me find it) and clicked on the by-laws...lo and behold, no manner of searching could produce such a ridiculous law. The only restrictions was on the size of bag, and of course, what was permitted to be put in it. Nothing whatsoever about tying your bags. And he had barked that to me over and over again like it was factual common knowledge...now I am pissed...

So Red Eddie called me yesterday, and I informed him of my unpleasant conversation with the most condescending Dougie, the trash man. He listened to my concerns and assured me he would look into it. He also added that I was not the first to complain about their garbage not being picked up because it was not tied. OH REALLY? You just wait until I meet up with Dougie some day...I hope he gets in shit. Speaking of which...I had fleetingly thought of coating the TIED UP handles with some similar substance out of spite, but then realized I was somewhat more mature than that...however, the thought of it did bring a chuckle on...

BTW - I do not own the house I am in, so I don't feel responsible for the rusted freezers at the end of my driveway...heh heh...

2 comments:

Big Hoser said...

I betcha Dougie's middle name is Bert. I don't know why, but Bert stuck in my head.

I've taken my trash down to city hall before and left it on their steps --still in the bag, but protesting the "policy" (not a bylaw but a decision by the trash collectors) that orange yard waste bags were no longer acceptable for yard waste. Yard waste must be in clear bags.

Girl, post your '96 theses' on proper garbage collection and post it beside your garbage outside city hall. :)

Dreama said...

city hall???? Snicker, chuckle, snort...I think the only city hall in the province might be found in Halifax...we have a Civic Centre (brand new) where we can find the mayor tucked away in an office there (that would be Billy Joe) when he isn't at the new rink there, watching hockey, or browsing the quilts in the showroom...heh heh

 
Locations of visitors to this page