Tuesday, February 08, 2005

random thoughts about money

my car - holy crapola. It began with me taking the car in for an overdue oil change. They told me at the dealer that I was also due for a maintenance check (sparkplugs and fluids) which would cost me another $200, plus that vibration I'm feeling is likely a balance problem...so we have $200 plus $70 for an oil change and balance. I opted out of the maintenace thing and just got the oil and balance. When I pick up the car they tell me I need a new tire, that one of them is not in good shape. Another $110. I stalled at first but later called them and told them to order it.

I had it home a week and there is this horriffic noise. It began as a little bit of noise but yesterday developed in to full blown screeching clunk. Ok...that can't be good. Turns out I need my brakes repaired. Initial estimate as I dropped it off last night was over $200.

OK, WTF!!! Now a simple oil change has turned into possibly $600. Great. Like I have that. Not to mention that I have to pay my association dues to the tune of $310 by the end of the month. (I don't have that either) In order to remain a social worker in good standing, I have to pay their outrageous fees. Sheisters...

So I got a ride home last night from the Toyota people, and now I have to be picked up in the morning by a friend. Hopefully I can get my car fixed today. I've never had it in overnight, but that's what happens when you ignore a noise until the end of the day and drop it at the dealer 15 minutes before they close...heh heh.

Good news is no new snow in over a week! We even have milder temperatures! Whoo hoo! I think winter is over for us. If I keep chanting that (winter is over) it might actually come true. I have to believe this.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I had some problems with my car in December. Ugh. Between fixing it and getting new tires, we spent about $1400.00 Ick.

BTW, how do you like being a social worker?
Have a good day! :)
~Julie
www.simplylife.blogdrive.com

Dreama said...

I love being a social worker. I had promised myself I would never work in a job that I didn't enjoy doing or find fulfilment in once I graduated university and after nearly 3 years at it, I am still there. There is stress, of course, but I've found just about any job comes with stress.

What sucks about car repair is when you spend $1700 on repairs and 3 weeks later, trash the car on the highway...that was me in 2000. Wahhh...

 
Locations of visitors to this page