Monday, February 28, 2005

Home

What is your conception of home? Is it where you grew up? What if you grew up like I did, in many different houses, towns and provinces? Where is home then? Is it where your parents live now? Mine live in a house I have never lived in. I was watching Garden State the other day (for the 3rd time) and they talk about home and how once you leave home, you can never recapture that sense of home again. You look for it, but it's never really there. My daughter was here last weekend but yet she felt "homesick" for where she now lives. Is she yet another casualty of frequent moving? Since she has been born, she's lived in two houses, an apartment, then a townhouse, then a duplex, and now she lives in her own apartment. Now I live in a home that she never lived in.

My own list is likely over 20 if I sit down and count again. I visit my parents home in Newfoundland, but its still not "home". Much of the furniture is new since I moved out 20 years ago, so there isn't even a favorite chair, or bed. And to confuse matters, the home my daughter did most of her growing in is one I still co-own with the ex. And no one lives there. We rent it from time to time, but when I go back to visit (it's in the same community where my parents retired) I almost feel like it was home to me, but not quite. There were many things I loved about my house and the community, but there was also a great deal of unhappiness to shake off.

I think home is where you are loved.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page