Thursday, March 03, 2005

Finger and Hand Gestures

Bet you thought it included the middle finger...you would be wrong. I was on the road most of the day today and people are so friend here in Cape Breton that wherever you go, someone will raise a hand, a few fingers, you know, like when you steer with your hand on the top of the wheel and lift your index and middle finger, possible a third. Most people do it because they assume that they know you, as the towns are all small-town and they do know everyone that lives there, however when I travel there for work, they generally don't know me, and so I will often wave back...heh hehe...and sometimes I wave to everyone, whether they wave or not just to confuse them...its rather funny looking at the expression on their face when they pass me and realize they have absolutely no idea who I am and they just waved to someone with purple hair.

I had a bandanna over the purple hair today as often it makes me stand out like a sore thumb in some of the remote towns, like Cheticamp. I remember taking another worker with me and she was beginning to get a little paranoid over all the stares...which are pretty normal for me, but they really bothered my co-worker until she realized they were staring at the purple hair...so she relaxed a little, ha ha. Picture it, two unknowns in town in winter (off-season for the many tourists that frequent during the summer) and one has purple hair. I love it!
I hope they all went home today wondering who in the hell waved to them...

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Ha!

I love it! Reminds me of driving the backroads of Washington state and all the farmers wouod wave. We'd wave back!!

No purple hair, though --no sir!

 
Locations of visitors to this page