Saturday, March 12, 2005

Ode to a Tatoo

thanks to Cosmo-Tini at Failed Southern Lady for the inspiration of my next post...my tatoo. It's not as interesting as her story, but is a story nonetheless. It was the summer of 1982 when I was dating Joey, a real rough around the edges sweetie. He had a hard life, and I got to know his dad and step-mom really well, and remained friends for years after. Anyhow, Joey had a tattoo of an arrow on the top of his hand, between his fingers and thumb. His friends also had one and I was very envious. Back then, few teenagers actually had tatoos, and girls were a rarity. Now it seems every teenager has one on their ass, ankle, breast and shoulder. So I wanted one, and penned one in for a while to see if I would like it. I did. Their tattoos were not professionally done, so one late night at Adrian's house we decided to have a go at it. His younger brother Cecil got out the india ink, a needle and thread.

I didn't need any numbing because I was already pretty out of it. I was 16 and thought I was invincible! He wrapped the needle in thread and dipped it into the ink, and off Cecil went...he was also pretty out of it and made a bit of a mess of it. All the guys were watching intently, in shock that a girl would get that tatoo. So I felt pretty cool, and it was a great night.
My mother kept telling me to wash it off and then I had to break down and tell her it was a tatoo. My entire adolescence was all about shocking them, so while she flipped out, it was just something else to shake their head over.

Now here I am, 20+ years later and I look at the tatoo and can't imagine not having it. It hasn't really faded and while I have toyed with the idea of turning it into something else, I am quite attached to it. My daughter is also attached to it and I recall a conversation we had about it a few years ago as she began tatooing her body - she didn't want me to do anything with it because she felt it was part of my identity. Because it's on my hand, I can't really hide it when working or meeting new people. Most of the time I forget that its there, I'm so used to it.

So here I sit, thinking of my next tatoo and remembering the last...it was so many years ago. To be 16 again!

6 comments:

Dreama said...

there are some tattoos that I wouldn't even consider, like a dolphin, heart, or devil...too overdone...when everyone has the same one, it loses its meaning. If I did get a second one, it would be an original design for sure, with meaning. I think that's why it has taken me over 20 years go think about my next one. It's not easy to make a commitment, but in life, we do have to make one sooner or later.

Anonymous said...

I have 2 - just tiny on my shoulders, i have always loved them but recently one of my grandchildren showed my a painting from school. They had drawn them huge and written my Grannys Tattoos , goodness knows what teacher thought! Came via BE

Didi said...

See what I mean about getting tattoos at the kitchen table?
:-)

Really - a good story. I would have done it too! But, the one I do have - I put that where I put it because it really is just for me. You only see it if I show it to you. I think that's what finally convinced my mother I didn't just do it for attention. She still doesn't get it, but she doesn't harass me about it either.

Madley said...

I love yours and Cosmo's stories about your tattoos. I've FINALLY, this week after reading your posts, know what my two will be: one is my sun sign, rising sign and moon sign (Aries, Aquarius, Libra); the other will be my first and last name in Filipino Visayan Alibata script. Kinda unique and cool, I think -- and they'll be hidden but easy to give you a peek if I want to.

Now if I can come up with some $$ for them -- and soon before there's just flabby skin on this old bod! hehehe

Dreama said...

great idea Madley! I know I want something celtic, I think, but can't settle on a design, so avoid making a decision on that...meanwhile my daughter has 5 tatts!

Dreama said...

oh mellow, if I could only remember all the times my little one embarassed me at school with her tales and pictures...my favorite is a story about PMS...I might even blog about it some night soon.

 
Locations of visitors to this page