Saturday, March 12, 2005

Intense Saturdays

Well, along with the usual sloth that accompanies Saturday for me, I also began reading Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search For Meaning and then while checking out the movies for tonight, I came across the movie, The Pianist. I hadn't seen it before and thought it would bring more meaning to the book I was reading. If you hadn't read the book before, it's about psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's own experience in a concentration camp during the war. The Pianist is about renowned pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman's own ordeal during the war, successfully evading concentration camps, working in a German Work Camp in Warsaw, then hiding out until liberation.

Through both mediums I indulged in today, I was humbled. Here I sit in my own home (rental, but secure) surrounded by tons of my own things, a full kitchen, heat, among other luxuries. I realize that I throw out more food than they survived on. I don't know what to do about my humility, but I am certainly grateful for my good fortune, even if it doesn't seem like a fortune at times when I am "broke". Watching the movie, reading the book - I realize there is a different meaning for poor than I am ever used to. Boy, are we lucky.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page