Saturday, March 26, 2005

Goodbye to Crappy Jobs

inspired by someone I forgot to blogmark on blog explosion is the newest "list" of mine...crappy jobs once held by me...in some semblance of chronological order

  1. pin setter - sure...a few quarters to dodge bowling balls to set pins...was also child labour, as I think I might have been 6 or 7 at the time
  2. short-order cook at the snack bar (on the military base I lived) - lots of opportunity to meet servicemen! I dated two real nice fellas I met there, Chris and Raoul who were US military guys...downside - GREASE, GREASE, GREASE and being worked off my feet during an exercise where 2000 guys showed up on the base and not everyone is enthralled with mess hall food, so came to the snack bar
  3. cashier/floor clerk at the Canex (military base store) - slave labour. $3.85 an hour which was less than minimum wage and snotty major's wives who thought I worked for THEM. Bitches.
  4. cashier at Sunoco in Mississauga - worked with a stupid idiot everyday for low pay and kept missing the bus as they stopped running about the same time I got off work
  5. cashier at a Gulf gas station - so busy I nearly pissed in my pants from lack of breaks
  6. working on the roads in outport Newfoundland - half decent pay for hard labour...manageable if I didn't have to work with my self-righteous sister-in-law who lived with a black cloud over her head...quit after two days...that was enough of THAT.
  7. cleaning apartments on campus for good pay - the filth that I encountered made me sick daily...roaches, grease, moldy food and dishes, you name it...and all in apartments rented by educated people, mostly foreigners...disgusting work
  8. waitress/short order cook at the on-campus bar - grease, grease, and more grease for shitty pay catering to the masses, some of which were attending on daddy's dollar so whined about everything
  9. security guard - BORING and tiring as most shifts were overnights...upside - working with trained dogs (dobermans and german shepards) for crappy pay
  10. stock-taking for crappy pay and horrible hours and an asshole for a boss who granted no breaks - left that one pretty fast after telling the boss he was an asshole
  11. prep-cook for East Side Marios - worked to death for 3 times the hours I signed up for...and I also nearly broke my hand in the dough mixer - had to go to hospital
  12. research assistant for and English professor - good pay but the driest of the dry work...hard to keep from nodding off and he was so pretentious and self-righteous that during my last term with him, we mutually agreed I couldn't work for him any longer

I'm sure there are others...that was traumatic enough for my memory...thankfully I now work as a social worker in a job that I enjoy for much better pay...I have EARNED it.

2 comments:

Big Hoser said...

Dare I post something similar? Haven't had a long string of jobs like you, but, hey, just as crappy in some ways!!

Dreama said...

go for it...what do you have to lose? your job? That's how I felt...I no longer worked for any of the people I talked about so fuck it...rant on!

 
Locations of visitors to this page