Sunday, June 27, 2004

The Graduate

I watched you today as you stood on the stage
And thought to myself, you've come of age.
You're ready now to go out on you own
And it hurt to see how the time has flown.

Where is that child of only three
Who loved to climb up on my knee
And ask such questions as who or why
What is that thing up in the sky?

Wasn't it only yesterday you started school,
And I tried so hard to be very cool,
But, as you walked in the door and sat in your place,
I did what I could to hide my face.

Remember that day we walked to the park,
We played so late, it began to get dark.
We started back home, your little hand in mine,
You were so happy and had such a good time.

It seems to me you were only eight,
When you wanted to know when you could date.
I laughed and said, "You're a little young,
But all too soon your time will come."

Before I knew it, you were in your teens,
Sloppy T-shirts and scruffy blue jeans,
Parties and dances, staying out late,
Ignoring your homework, saying, "It can wait."

Now you stand before me with your diploma in hand,
In your cap and gown, and you look so grand.
I hold back the tears that threaten to fall,
And put on a smile as you walk down the hall.

I look at you and I want to see
The little child who sat on my knee.
But the years are gone and can't be revived,
Except in my heart, where I will keep them alive.

So now it's time for me to let go,
How much it hurts, you'll never know.
Go now, my child, take your place in the crowd,
For whatever you do, I know I'll be proud.

by Florence Brown
Corner Brook, NF

I had come across this poem many years ago in a Newfoundland newspaper while I still lived in Grand Bruit and knew it was the one I wanted to keep for her special day. I pasted it into a scrapbook with corresponding photos and it looks wonderful. I cry each time I read it because it says what I am feeling so well.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page