Monday, June 21, 2004

The Prom

Well, tonight is her last prom. As usual, some things are left to the last minute...I asked her a couple of days ago before I packed all my sewing stuff if her dress was too long. I had only seen it on her in the store, without shoes. She assured me it was indeed the right length with her shoes on. So tonight when this charming child tries on her dress now that she has her hair all fluffed and done, and this child shows her mother - it is about 2-3 inches too long. A disaster waiting to happen...GAWD. So rifling through boxes I go, just two hours before prom, digging out sewing stuff and off to the sewing machine I go. It got done, but I should have know better...

But par for the course. Earlier today, she headed over to Brad's aunt to get her hair done. I was to pick her up at the aunts and bring her home...after all, we can't have her hitchhiking back with such poofy hair. I had timed my last home visit to end at the end of the work day and then off I would go to pick up said child. 10 minutes left of my home visit and out comes a disclosure about another child being abused...WTF!!! So I get all the info I can, then tear off out the door, hoping to catch a supervisor still at work, phone half the building and find no one at their desks...of course, its 4:30pm and they're out of there like a herd of elephants...sheesh. I drive just down the street to my own house (see, clients are too close for comfort) so I can use a land phone, make another dozen calls, leave a phone message for my supervisor and take off to get said child. I am tearing off towards her and see traffic ahead (I live in SMALL TOWN) so I know the only reason for traffic is the causeway is open. DRAT! So I end up finally getting a hold of my supervisor, giving out the referral on speakerphone while waiting for the causeway to open up...it finally does, I am still on speakerphone, driving across the causeway, then make the turnoff to where said child is when I hear this enormous horn blow - I look in my rearview to see who the hell I have pissed off now, thinking I cut off a trucker or something and then swing my head back to the front of me just in time to notice the train coming down the tracks and the railway crossing lights FLASHING...I slam on the breaks, pull up the emergency break, all while still chatting on the speakerphone with supervisor and after hours duty worker...the train passes, I keep on going, trying to remember where the heck I am picking up this kid at as I have never been there before, still on the cell phone in the crook of my neck, imparting valuable information...I tear up someones driveway, not knowing where I am going, back up with cell still under my neck, hoping I don't land in the ditch (as anyone knows me, I don't do well backing down driveways...) and then decide ENOUGH!!! I AM PARKING TO FINISH THE DARN CALL! Just as I do, said child comes waltzing down the driveway - it was the right one after all...she says to me "didn't you see me waving my hands to you???" Sure...just get in the car before someone dies tonight.

So, we made it home, supper was a mixed bag...lovely roasted chicken that I had managed to stuff at lunchtime and entrusted to the younguns to cook. Brad burnt the potatoes and did not realize it would affect the taste when he mashed it all together...hmmm...I had also not realized there were only two measly carrots....so we had chicken and stuffing with a few scraps of carrot.

And now it is raining and I didn't get any outdoor pictures of said child in her dress because I spent too much time hemming it tonight.

And the fun has just begun...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page