Sunday, January 30, 2005

I Must Be Dead

I wrote yesterday about my poor back while trying to get chores done. Well if yesterday wasn't enough punishment, today I have joined the dead. Let me back up...


Company arrived late afternoon and we began the night of drinking, eating, smoking, etc. We watched the movie Anchorman it was just hilarious! There are some parts in there however that are just wrong...where have society's morals gone??? heh heh...

So we were up until quite late (for me) and I think I finally packed it in for the night around 2am or later. I was up again at 8:30am, washing dishes and getting a breakfast spread ready for company. That was quite normal for me, as I generally don't sleep in. It was a lovely breakfast with homemade waffles smothered in butter and maple syrup (ok, Aunt Jemima), and salty CANADIAN bacon, and fluffy scrambled eggs...add tea in my grandmother's teapot and juice spilled on my grandmother's lunchcloth, and we were well away.

Then came the infliction of pain. What sounded like a good idea yesterday was turning out to be something altogether different today. We went snowshoeing. This for a gal who nearly blacks out on the way to the mailbox at the end of the driveway. And it was about 2 miles (or more) in total that we snowshoed...down to a river. I am in a little pain. Actually, I am in a lot of pain. My poor back, and ALL OF MY LEG MUSCLES are angry with me. Maybe I am not dead then if I can feel this pain.

Mind numbing pain aside, it was a wonderful walk to the river. We saw many critter tracks such as squirrel, rabbit and coyote. There was even a carcass. So that's where the dead part comes in. It appears that some coyotes nicked themselves a red deer and left something behind for the crows to have a nibble at. We saw the crows ahead of us, circling like vultures so one of my friends, D. went to investigate and made the discovery. At the riverbank (where I had never gone before) there was a simple shack that was ironically named "Riverside Palace". Despite its rudimentary style, it was great to be able to sit comfortably for a rest before the return journey. We watched some eagles soaring from this location. Awesome. At one point during the hike, D. thought he would show off for the camera (not digital sorry...posted in a few days (or months) and ended up flat on his back in his snowshoes....HA HA. which of course, I snapped a picture of.

So now, as my muscles protest, and my asthma makes my lungs scream for more air, I have returned home and am now fighting off the chill of sweating in the cold, wrapped in a quilt I sewed last fall...

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page