Monday, January 24, 2005

Is it Spring Yet?

I am so tired of hearing about the snow, talking about the snow, shovelling the snow, even looking at the snow. Enough already!

My shovelling hasn't been as treacherous as it has been in past years, thanks to people with plows, tractors and my next door neighbors. However, what has become even more irritating is the snow talk - I think it is the only thing people on the east coast can find to talk about is the weather. Good, bad, or ugly. So its snowing. Ok. Its winter, people. What else did you expect? Daffodil blooms?

Our employer went against the grain today and decided not to close the office, however all provincial offices in the provinces were deemed closed...hmmm...how does that work. I don't actually work for the provincial goverment, I work for Children's Aid, but my boss works for both. And he decided to keep us (CAS) open. Yet most of my co-workers decided they did work for provincial government and stayed home. It has been a confusing mess. Last year we were told we do not close just because provincial offices close. So he waited until many of us got to work before sending us back home again because he was closing the office. Same thing again today. I went to work because I know that I do not work for the provincial government. My road was clear, the weather was manageable, so off I went. We had gotten a call last week when there was a storm day, albeit far to late - 8:15am by which time I normally would have been just about AT work. and today I didn't get any calls. So I assumed I had to go to work.

I got to work, there was NO ONE THERE. So I called my supervisor, who also believed our agency was open, but she was not able to get in because her road had not yet been plowed. She suggested I call our HR manager, so I did, and her child told me she was at work. HUH? So I went downstairs only to discover that we were indeed open and more of the front office staff had showed up after I did, and eventually, another social worker. Were we open or closed? Open was the word, because there was nothing on the website about us being closed. What do you mean, nothing. All provincial offices are closed. Exec sec to the ED says she didn't see it. So now that she has seen it, they put in a call to the ED - where are you and what's up? Discussion about closing and finally a decision to close since all provincial government offices are closed. Fine. I'm going home, but you are paying me for my time already put in this morning.

Confused yet? I am just irritated. So then I say to the other social worker - why don't you come over and watch movies for the morning. No, I'm going to bed was the reply. Ok, fine, see you later. I get home, get on the net, am right in the middle of doing something and the Internet call manager shows me that she is calling. Funny, I thought she was in bed! She called to tell me that she had a message from the worker above her on the list that we were closed until noon. It was left at 9:25am - like that was going to help anyone. She was already at work by then.

The list - I almost forgot - we have what they are calling a Fan-Out List - it begins with the ED, to the two supervisors and on down - if you call two people and they call two people...you get the drift. No one used it today until after 9am. Why bother having it if you're not going to use it? When I asked that question, I was told it wasn't used when all provincial offices are closed. Oh for F---'s sake. Are we or are we not taking our cues from the provincial government?

So I have a few choice questions for the ED tomorrow. Even if they open again at noon, frig that, I am not going. I already made my effort today and I am staying home. See ya later, folks.

I'm home, and the phone has not stopped ringing with people who want to talk about the snow and about the confusion at work. Enough already. Stop calling me, please. I hate talking about snow. (you would never know it by this post, heh heh)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey,

i feel your pain. im from nova scotia too, cape breton actually. i just finished cleaning out 4 foot drifts from my driveway. :)

King

http://pageofnothingness.blog-city.com

Dreama said...

That's just where I am too - Cape Breton...too much snow too fast. It was brown grass just over a week ago...

Dave Nichols said...

Thanks for the visit on my site. I appreciate it.

I suggest you drown anyone who talks about snow again in some of it. But it sounds like you should start with your ED whether or not he talks about snow.

--Dave

Dreama said...

I had been to your site from the beginning when Mary first mentioned it, but then was disappointed when there were no updates for so long - didn't realize how busy you were! Glad to hear you will have more time for your devoted readers now, lol.

There will be words with the ED tomorrow...oh yes, there will be words...heh heh

Big Hoser said...

So, no, really. Stop holding back. What's the weather like in Cape Breton? ;-)

If it helps, I was outside at 9am this morning in shorts, sandals and a t-shirt putting out the garbage and checking on the fish in the backyard.

Didn't I mention something about you being on the wrong coast a little while back? As a positive, 2cm of snow here is enough to shut down basically everything. As a negative, we get about 2cm of snow once or twice a year and that's about it for snow.

Sorry.

Dreama said...

two words for you ya hoser (and I can say them because you are my friend) they begin and end with the letter "F".

that is all I have to say about that.

 
Locations of visitors to this page