Monday, January 03, 2005

Ugh, I am out of shape

Well, here's a totally original new year's resolution - to get in shape. the other day I walked down to the end of the driveway to get the mail. I usually pick it up on the way home from work in the car, but this particular day, I was off so I walked down to get it. My driveway is about 1/3 of a kilometre to the mailbox. I damn near blacked out. There were black spots dancing in front of my eyes. Holy shit. Then today I went out and shoveled out my shovel. Yes, that's right, shoveled out my shovel. My big scoop had been laying against the step after the first of the big storm, and must have fallen down, and got snowed over, then iced in, and frozen in place. It took a bit of effort, but I got it out. then I had to come in, get my rescue puffer and lie down. my heart is still racing.

what in the hell is going on. I figure I don't get enough exercise (no shit) and its partly due to living out in the country. I used to walk a little when I lived in town - to the video store, Dairy Queen, library, or to work to do notes on the weekends. Now I walk down the steps to my car. Apparently walking to the end of the driveway proved to be too much. absolutely pathetic.

so I resolve to walk more, even if I do live out in the country and the trucks passing by my road nearly run me down. After I drive my garbage to the end of the driveway...

3 comments:

Big Hoser said...

I know it costs money and not always the thing people want to spend money on, but seriously look into going to a fitness centre. Make sure you talk to a trainer there to esure you're doing the proper exercises. Walking may be good in the spring (when and where there may be a place to jump out of the way of the trucks on the road), but nothing's better than a gym in the Winter.

~HH.

Dreama said...

been there, bought the t-shirt. I have had 3 different memberships, bagged on them all after injuring myself...for which I seem to have an innate tendency. I actually have a treadmill in my spare room, collecting dust, and hope to get back to that again this week. I was using it earlier this fall, and then fell down, scraping both knees, and somehow never got back to it. Then the tree went up and the treadmill was folded up (it had been in the living room) and all that...and expensive isn't the word for it...the local gyms charge over $50 a month for a membership...outrageous and that's the YMCA. I'll get back into shape again...even if it kills me.

Big Hoser said...

Another sign you're on the wrong coast... Most places around here are $20-25 a month. Take courses at the local university and it's a $10 deposit only since the fees are wrapped up in the tuition (which is still among the lowest in the country). Of course, the @$$munch who runs it wants to start charging $20 a month to students... but then his goal has always been $$ over education.

 
Locations of visitors to this page