Tuesday, January 11, 2005

"Untitled"

I tried to come up with a title and couldn't...I guess I was having trouble framing what I had to say? In any event, a trip to the doctor confirmed what I had suspected for some time now, that I have fibromyalgia. Its a hard diagnosis to make in that there is no blood test or x-ray, but she did check for the tender points and I had them, plus most of the other symptoms. Thankfully she didn't blow me off, as did a doctor I asked about it 2 years ago. THAT doctor's response was "well, there's nothing you can do about it so there's no point in discussing it". ACTUALLY, there are plenty of things to do about it, and number one on my list is to get a handle on my sleep problem. Did I mention that I had been referred to the sleep clinic in Halifax? My doctor wrote the letter last July and I got the forms filled out for them in August. I phoned last week to see where I was on the list and I was informed I was #385 and they would see me in two years. Great. Thanks.
Then the secretary and I had a conversation about how one could get bumped up the list - if your sleep problem interferes with your ability to work - BINGO. It sure as hell does, so I spoke to my doctor and she is going to write another letter. Actually, I cried to my doctor. I had gone in with the best of intentions, to chat about my lack of sleep once again but I guess I had built it up too much as I busted out into tears the minute she asked me what she could do for me...sheesh...anyhow, she prescribed something different to help me sleep and for the pain, a drug targeted more for fibromyalgia.
I tried it last night, I think I took it too soon as I got drowsy real quick, but it didn't last too long. By 3am I was wide awake again. She told me it would take a little experimentation before getting it right but it might be the right drug for once.
So there you have it. A diagnosis does help somewhat, to make sense of all the symptoms but in the end I am left with a diagnosis for an incurable condition. Welcome to FM.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Thanks for providing a link explaining more about Fibromyalgia. I wasn't too sure what it was beforehand. You have a number of the symptoms, yes? I'm thinking the chronic pain, lack of sleep, and the dizziness (you do seem to fall down a lot!).

Well, I'm not surprised to hear of a doctor shrugging off a patient's concern. I'm sure 9-times-out-of-10 it IS nothing, but it just goes to prove that doctors need to treat every patient like they are their only patient.

Good luck bumping up the waitlist!!

 
Locations of visitors to this page