Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day

I'm sure many bloggers will be writing today about Mother's Day...I'm no exception. This one is particularly noteworthy for me as it is the first one I have spent apart from my daughter. She moved out last June to attend university and live on her own with her boyfriend.


I miss the handmade cards created in high secrecy, the flowers picked from a neighbor's yard, the cold burnt toast and juice served in bed, and the big hugs from those skinny little kid arms.

I can take comfort however in knowing that I did my job well and have raised a wonderful daughter who is very independent and moved out before her 19th birthday to live on her own. She will be 19 next month and honestly I don't know where the years went! Then I sit and think about all the memories I have of her in each of those years and wish I had them to live over again, even the rough times.

so dear daughter, if you are reading this, thank-you for being my daughter and allowing me the experience of being your mother. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

thanks! There was no doubt that she would be moving out when she finished high school as she was itching to feel that independence that I had shown her in my own life, so I am glad she didn't shy from it and chose to embrace it. It doesn't make the 3 hours between us any closer though...sniff...

 
Locations of visitors to this page