Monday, May 23, 2005

Have a nice TRIP, see you next FALL

Anyone who knows me knows how clumsy I am. I have more scar tissue on my knees than anyone I know...and I am 38. And today I tripped and fell yet again. drunk again Only no damage to the body, just the salt. I tripped coming into the house from the bbq outside, spilling the entire contents of the salt shaker. Does that mean I have to throw it over my shoulder to repel bad luck? Whatever. Here are a few of my notorious falls, ending with my most embarrassing to keep you interested.

  1. falling last autumn outside the courthouse after testifying. Tripped over a grass tuft growing up between the sidewalk (it was really overgrown!) and shredding my left calf and knee, my right knee, my elbows and my hands. The left calf was the worst and I have a huge scar speckling my left leg, about 5 inches or bigger. Its not deep, just huge. It ws the day before I was flying out to BC to see my sister and her family...scared the hell out of the little ones I reckon.
  2. 5 months pregnant, up in the night for a craving and when climbing back into bed, I stepped on the edge of the bed, which was actually the edge of the blankets and gave myself the worst carpet/blanket burn I ever had.
  3. fell taking out the garbage here last summer. Was wearing a long skirt, had both hands full and stepped into the hem walking down the steps. Another nasty scrape on the knee...thankfully I landed on the garbage so no concussion, but blood on my skirt so had to go back and change and try again.
  4. running down over the hill from my grandmother's house to my best cousin's, G. Flat out, of course, as children know only one speed. Of course, on the east coast, most rocks are covered in lichens and moss...SKIDDED and tumbled all the way down the hill and cut open my knee.
  5. 9 months pregnant. Went to let one of the cats in and the wind took the door, flinging me far out onto the concrete step, down on my knees. Husband yelled, and I was sent to my room.
  6. Up on a ladder, slipped and fell, injuring my ankle and my pride. We were building our cabin, and I earned myself 2 weeks on crutches.
  7. Walking home drunk from the bar one night as a youth, we had spent our cab fare on liquor, so had to walk for about an hour. I thought I was cool in my spandex pants and leather jacket, drop-kicked my friend and sprained my ankle, and fell...flat on my face, scraping both elbows. Earned two weeks on crutches then too.
  8. The piece de resistance. While backpacking in the UK in 2001, I was carrying around my 50lb pack all day as I was flying out of London that night and didn't want to store it in a locker. Watched the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Then promptly tripped on the curb in the cobblestone and fell FLAT ON MY FACE. Of course, the 50lb pack didn't help and smashed into the back of my head, pinning me to that lovely cobblestone. I scraped both my knees, my elbows, my hands, and my forehead. Oh, and I tore one of my two pairs of pants. Just great. Thankfully some foreign tourist rolled me over and helped me up while the locals snapped photos of me, laughing (miserable feckers). They probably thought it was just another Irish gal, drunk again. I have a bit of a Newfie accent at times...

So there you have it. My life measured out in trips and fumbles. Have a laugh, I did, when the bleeding stopped...

4 comments:

Dreama said...

I'm glad it made you laugh...so is my sister when I tell her of each trip and fall. She has the same wicked sense of humour that I do and can see the humour in the short lived misery of others, heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jude,
I was just having a great laugh off your misfortunes. I know i shouldn't but you have to admit they are funny. You forgot one though, the one you had at Grand Bruit on New Years. You slipped and fell and your supper ended up in everyone elses plate. I thought that was the best, i still have a great whole laugh every time i think of it, matter of fact the tears are running down my cheeks as i type this. Anyway have a great day and try not to trip... Talk to you later.

Dreama said...

ah yes...the delightful cranberry sauce incident...I was carrying a full plate of food and a tupperware container of cranberry sauce at the local community supper on New Years Eve. Hadn't had a lot to drink at that point, but for some reason, my heel skidded and I went down with a BANG, flat on my ass. My supper went flying, including the tupperware container of cranberry sauce...caught by the gentleman at the end of the table in the other room, fully intact. It was a great night though, so it made up for the embarrasment! Thanks B. for reminding me!

Big Hoser said...

Can you admit you stepped back from the ladder to admire your handywork? C'mon. You know you did!!

You remind me of my sister (who's had 3 dislocated knees, the first form trying to kick a ball with both feet) and my mother (who had surgery on her ankle after "watching baseball players" and not noticing the dip in the field as she was walking.

Oh, she also was the very first work-related injury at the 1986 World's Fair in Vancouver: Expo 86. She'd just stepped out from the trailer/office during construction when a truck backed into it. She turned to run and help and instead ended up at the bottom of a hole.

I'd say you two should meet, but I'm afraid of the damage. ;-)

 
Locations of visitors to this page